History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Strumpshaw, Norfolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6015 / 52°36'5"N

Longitude: 1.4804 / 1°28'49"E

OS Eastings: 635784

OS Northings: 306101

OS Grid: TG357061

Mapcode National: GBR XKJ.WMZ

Mapcode Global: WHMTQ.QW50

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 19 March 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372684

English Heritage Legacy ID: 228513

Location: Strumpshaw, Broadland, Norfolk, NR13

County: Norfolk

District: Broadland

Civil Parish: Strumpshaw

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Strumpshaw and Hassingham with Buckenham

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Buckenham

Listing Text

TG 30 NE STRUMPSHAW BUCKENHAM

8/65 The Old Rectory.

G.V. II

Former rectory house built for Rev. T.W. Beauchamp, rector 1814-63. Dated
1827, extended 1839. Red brick with hipped slate roof. Two storeys,
originally L-shaped plan. Lower courses of walls in thin brick laid in English
bond with traces of diaper work, suggesting a rebuilding of a house of c.1600.
Principal facade to south symmetrical : two-light casement windows with label
moulds over ground floor openings. Central two-leaf glazed door to garden
under a semi-circular brick arch of three orders. The centre bay is slightly
advanced with a stepped gable corbelled out. The gable contains a large sun
dial and the date 1827 in brick letters. Dog tooth brick eaves. Slated loggia
around perimeter of building supported on circular brick piers and cast iron
columns. Loggia has central pediment with elliptical soffit on south
elevation. Roof hipped over canted east and west ends. Later extension dated
1839 fills in north west angle of 'L'. Chimney stacks with clustered octagonal
and diagonal shafts, dated TPB 1827. Conical glazed light over staircase.
Interior contains many re-set archaeological fragments collected by Rev.
Beauchamp.


Listing NGR: TG3578406101

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.