This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6275 / 52°37'39"N
Longitude: 1.3668 / 1°22'0"E
OS Eastings: 627953
OS Northings: 308628
OS Grid: TG279086
Mapcode National: GBR WHV.BCB
Mapcode Global: WHMTN.Z700
Plus Code: 9F43J9H8+2P
Entry Name: St Andrew's Hospital
Listing Date: 17 December 1973
Last Amended: 14 November 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372707
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228544
Location: Thorpe St. Andrew, Broadland, Norfolk, NR7
Civil Parish: Thorpe St. Andrew
Built-Up Area: Norwich
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Thorpe Episcopi St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 20 NE THORPE ST ANDREW YARMOUTH ROAD
494/6/96 St Andrew's Hospital
Formerly known as: Norfolk County Asylum YARMOUTH ROAD. Also known as: Thorpe Hospital YARMOUTH ROAD.
County Asylmn, now hospital. 1811-14, by Francis Stone, county surveyor. Additions, 1816-49, probably by John Brown, county surveyor. Yellow brick, partly rendered on the south side, with ashlar and brick dressings and gabled and hipped slate roofs. H-plan, with central administrative block flanked by side ranges and cross wings, the major axis running east-west. Administrative block, 3 storeys, 7 window range, has dentillated eaves and 2 large coped ridge stacks. Projecting centre, 3 windows, under pediment. Windows are glazing bar sashes with brick flat arches. Central Tuscan portico, 4 columns, carrying a wrought iron balcony railing and covering a margin glazed double door with over light and sidelights. On either side, 2 sashes. Above, a French window with glazing bar overlight and sidelights, and beyond, 2 sashes. Above again, a central sash with smaller sidelights, and beyond, 2 sashes. At the rear, a central canted bay window, 3 sashes, flanked by 2 sashes. Beyond, square additions c1849, 2 storeys, 2 window range, that to right with a flat roofed bay window with leaded glazing. Side ranges have a projecting central block, 5 windows, with glazing bar sashes. Central round arched doorway with glazing bar fanlight and sidelights. Rear elevation reglazed, with canted bay window, 2 storeys. On either side, ward ranges, 5 windows, with round arched openings, first floor band and impost bands. Windows have cast iron glazing bars and pivoted centre lights. North and south cross wings, 2 storeys, 8 window range, have similar fenestration and detail. South ends, 3 windows, have a central doorway. East and west end ranges, 4 windows. North sides, partly covered by C19 and C20 additions, have round arched windows. South sides have reglazed flat headed windows. End blocks, 3 windows, have similar fenestration. East and west ends have pedimented gables containing blank round windows and topped with coped stacks. Round arched door with fanlight to left, single window to right. Above, 2 round arched blanks. Interior: entrance lobby has cornice and margin glazed double doors with sidelights. Central octagonal hallway has round arches to a barrel-vaulted spinal corridor. T o east and west, an ashlar dogleg stair with winders and double iron stick balusters. Similar stairs to the basement have wrought iron gates. Panelled boardroom to rear, c1935, has coved ceiling and ashlar fireplace with dentillated cornice. Side ranges have cells to north and galleries to south. North and south cross wings have central corridors flanked by cells.
Listing NGR: TG2794408605
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings