History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41 and 43, Elm Hill

A Grade II* Listed Building in Norwich, Norfolk

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6318 / 52°37'54"N

Longitude: 1.2973 / 1°17'50"E

OS Eastings: 623229

OS Northings: 308891

OS Grid: TG232088

Mapcode National: GBR W9K.ZB

Mapcode Global: WHMTM.W3XP

Plus Code: 9F43J7JW+PW

Entry Name: 41 and 43, Elm Hill

Listing Date: 26 February 1954

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1372805

English Heritage Legacy ID: 229075

Location: Norwich, Norfolk, NR3

County: Norfolk

Electoral Ward/Division: Thorpe Hamlet

Built-Up Area: Norwich

Traditional County: Norfolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk

Church of England Parish: Norwich St George, Tombland

Church of England Diocese: Norwich

Find accommodation in
Norwich

Description

TG 2308 NW ELM HILL
(south-east side)
16/322
26.2.54 Nos. 41 and 43.
GV II*
Former use unknown, now shop. C17 and later. Mostly rendered; timber
framing with plaster infill to upper floor of No. 41; pantile roof; 2 brick
chimneys; 2 storeys, attic and cellar. Facade is in 2 parts:
No.41 has early C19 shop-front of 3 bays defined by fluted elongated Tuscan
Columns. Central half-glazed door with small panes flanked by shop windows,
also with glazing bars. Jettied first floor has close studding with middle
rail supporting former full-width window, now blocked but originally
comprising 5 pairs of ogee-leaded lights with rosettes in spandrels, 2 pairs
have been replaced with iron casements and leaded lights. Box cornice.
Gabled dormer has mullioned and transomed window with iron casement and
leaded lights. Barge- boards have turned pendants.
No.43 has half-glazed door to left with panelled reveals and a doorcase
with plain pilasters. 2 ground-floor sash windows with glazing bars. First-
floor has one sash window with glazing bars and another mullioned window
with leaded lights and an iron casement. Large gabled dormer to right has
iron casement with leaded lights. Smaller gable with glazing bar sashes
to left. Both gables have plain bargeboards. These properties originally
formed part of a large courtyard house on the site of Wright's Court (q.v.)
No.41 has a cast iron plaque: I/SS/1842.


Listing NGR: TG2322908891

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.