This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7286 / 52°43'43"N
Longitude: 1.159 / 1°9'32"E
OS Eastings: 613404
OS Northings: 319234
OS Grid: TG134192
Mapcode National: GBR TCK.ZTB
Mapcode Global: WHLRV.SP31
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 18 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1372935
English Heritage Legacy ID: 228049
Location: Swannington, Broadland, Norfolk, NR9
Civil Parish: Swannington
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Swannington St Margaret
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
In the entry for: PARISH OF SWANNINGTON THE STREET (East)
TG 11 NW The Old Rectory
In the descriptive notes the words "C17 casements with crown glass bulls eyes, a
large spring catches in attic C17 clasped purlin roof with windbraces in north west
pile " shall be amended to read "17th century casements with crown glass bulls eyes
and large spring catches. In attic, 17th century clasped purlin roof with wind
braces in north-west pile".
TG 11 NW SWANNINGTON THE STREET (East)
8/90 The Old Rectory
Former Rectory, 1635 and extended in 1841. Walls of red brick, with gault
brick dressings and pantiled roof. Double pile house, with southern cross
wing of 2 storeys end attics. Single storey service wing to south. Asymmetric
west facade with C19 detail and projecting gable to south. Fabric of north
west pile C17. Its facade has central entrance door with rendered surround
with battlemented parapet. Flanking door, C19 sash windows with margin lights,
glazing bars and rendered reveals. Rendered plinth, quoining at angles, and
string course. Central corbelled dormer with sash window and stepped gable.
Battlemented parapet eaves. Gable to south one window, with plinth, sash
windows and flat brick arches. Stepped gable with brick kneelers. North
western gable with attic windows with rendered mullions, brick kneelers and
steps, and end stack with square paired shafts. East elevation C19, with
projecting gables at north and south ends, with canted bay to north. Central
section 4 windows, with asymmetric entrance door and staircase window to right
with stone coat of arms above. Centrally placed paired gabled dormers. Windows
are sashes with glazing bars, flat gauged gault brick arches with key bricks
and gault brick quoining. Brick plinth, gault brick quoining, string course,
battlemented parapets and stepped gables with finials at apex and bases.
Triple square plan shafts to north east gable stack. Axial stacks on each
pile. Single storey service wing has parapet eaves and gable. Large external
stack to east with paired octagonal gault brick shafts. Ovolo moulded beams
in ground floor C17 pile. C19 fireplaces with cast iron grates and marble
surrounds. C17 casements with crown glass bulls eyes, a large spring catches
in attic C17 clasped purlin roof with windbraces in north west pile.
Listing NGR: TG1340719233
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings