This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5719 / 52°34'18"N
Longitude: 1.2009 / 1°12'3"E
OS Eastings: 617006
OS Northings: 301933
OS Grid: TG170019
Mapcode National: GBR VGW.QG2
Mapcode Global: WHLSN.FM35
Entry Name: Majority Cottage
Listing Date: 26 October 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373151
English Heritage Legacy ID: 226913
Location: East Carleton, South Norfolk, Norfolk, NR14
District: South Norfolk
Civil Parish: East Carleton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Carleton East St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 10 SE EAST CARLETON WYMONDHAM ROAD
5/27 Majority Cottage
House, C16 and later, remodelled 1848 for Sir John Boileau's estate. Timber
framed, wattle and daub, clay lump, rendered and colourwashed; thatched roof.
4 cells in two builds, 1½ storeys. End internal stacks and central axial
stack all with shafts of 1848; two cells to right later and slightly lower.
Band below eaves with decorative painted frieze to resemble studwork. Cells
1 and 4 with tile-roofed bay windows of 1848, cells 2 and 3 with double case-
ments with early fittings. Doorway to cell 2 now blocked; doorway to cell
3 with boarded door c.1985 having small rondel to left with Boileau crest
and date 1848; 4 thatched gabled roof dormers with casements, doorway to
cell 4 with door of 1848; 2-layered fretwork bargeboards. Left and right
returns of clay lump, shaped bargeboards; attics with 3-light C19 wooden
window frames blocked with clay lump. Rear: clay lump lean-to to right;
fenestration to centre and to wing to left of 1986. Interior: C17 inserted
stack to gable end of cell 1, stack of 1848 to gable end of cell 4; large
central stack now enclosed. First cell with inserted floor c.1600 with large
cross beam having jewel stops, cracks infilled with brick fragments, beam
supported by upper rail of earlier opening to rear. First floor of cell
1 with low openings from eaves to floor now blocked having lozenge mullions.
Cells 1 and 2 with curved roof braces and close rafters; some straight braces
to cell 4. 1848 was the year Sir John Boileau's eldest son reached his
Listing NGR: TG1700601933
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings