This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8577 / 52°51'27"N
Longitude: 1.2353 / 1°14'7"E
OS Eastings: 617909
OS Northings: 333810
OS Grid: TG179338
Mapcode National: GBR VCG.TBN
Mapcode Global: WHLR9.YFFL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373470
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224455
Location: Aldborough & Thurgarton, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR11
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Aldborough & Thurgarton
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Aldborough and Thurgarton
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 13 SE ALDBOROUGH
5/7 Church of St.Mary
Parish church. Medieval. Flint, ironbound conglomerate, with stone and brick
dressings. Slate roof. Nave, north aisle, south porch, chancel. West wall
with wooden bell-cote of 1906; tower fell in C18, traces of base remain.
Conglomerate quoins to south west and north west corners of nave. Buttressed
nave of 3 bays; 2 2-light C19 cusped windows to south in rubble and
conglomerate wall. Conglomerate quoins of earlier church in third bay.
North aisle wall much rebuilt in 1847 with brick-dressed buttresses and
2 2-light Cl9 windows. Chancel with priests door to south. Angle buttresses.
2-light C19 window. East window C19 3-light Perpendicular. Buttressed
south porch of knapped flint to first nave bay. Doorway with attached shaft
and hollows. Nave doorway has hood mould and rib-vaulted niche over with
canopy. Interior. Low north arcade formed by cutting through earlier wall.
C19 roofs. C19 chancel arch. Top of rood stair over eastern nave pier.
Piscina. Octagonal font. Graded II* for survival of early church plan.
Listing NGR: TG1790933810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings