This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9073 / 52°54'26"N
Longitude: 1.3588 / 1°21'31"E
OS Eastings: 625959
OS Northings: 339716
OS Grid: TG259397
Mapcode National: GBR WDC.NCS
Mapcode Global: WHMS9.V660
Entry Name: Church of St Michael
Listing Date: 4 October 1960
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1373531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 224699
Location: Sidestrand, North Norfolk, Norfolk, NR27
District: North Norfolk
Civil Parish: Sidestrand
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Sidestrand St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TG 23 NE SIDESTRAND
4/37 Church of St.Michael
Parish church. Medieval fabric moved inland in 1880 to present site.
Flint with stone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, north
vestry, south porch. Embattled round tower of three stages, the top two
stages being octagonal; built in 1881 as a copy of the medieval tower
which has subsequently fallen into the sea. Nave of 2 bays; to the south
2 2-light Perpendicular windows; to the north one 3-light and one 2-light
Perpendicular window. C19 vestry to first bay. Chancel of 2 bays with
one C19 Y-tracery window and one C19 2 light window with a triangular
head to the south; to the north a restored Y-tracery window. C19 east
window of 3 lights. Porch to first nave bay has single cusped lights
to east and west. Doorway with polygonal shafts, abaci and bases;
chamfered arch; outer continuous order; hood mould. Restored nave doorway
with continuous chamfer merging into arch with rolls. Niche over with
statue of angel with chalice. Interior. Piscina in south nave wall.
Ogee-arched piscina, drop-seat sedilia in chancel. C15 octagonal font.
Stone cross in south east nave wall with 'Orate p aia Willi Atte wod'
inscribed. Jacobean panelling of 1911 in chancel. Royal arms of George
IV after Irish Union. War memorial using Renaissance niche bought in
antique shop and adapted by Seely and Paget. East window designed by
Henry Holiday and made by Powell (Whitefriars Glass works) in 1880's.
Listing NGR: TG2595939716
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings