History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Orgreave Hall and Attached Stables

A Grade II Listed Building in Alrewas, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.7416 / 52°44'29"N

Longitude: -1.7794 / 1°46'45"W

OS Eastings: 414992

OS Northings: 316015

OS Grid: SK149160

Mapcode National: GBR 4D4.0Z7

Mapcode Global: WHCGH.MCW3

Plus Code: 9C4WP6RC+J7

Entry Name: Orgreave Hall and Attached Stables

Listing Date: 9 March 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374275

English Heritage Legacy ID: 272539

Location: Alrewas, Lichfield, Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Alrewas

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Alrewas All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Find accommodation in

Listing Text


1 & 2/52 Orgreave Hall and attached stables
- II

Small country house and stables. Mainly early C18, a remodelling of an
earlier house built probably in 1668. Red brick; plain tile roofs;
brick ridge stack and axial valley stacks. Principal range aligned east-
west facing south with flanking wings projecting to the south and aligned
north-south, the main house is linked to the early C18 stables by later
extensions to the east. South elevation: 2 storeys and attic with
moulded eaves cornice; 2:2:2 bays. central range flanked by boldly
projecting wings with hipped roofs and storey bands, late C19 four-pane
sashes within C18 surrounds; central 6-panelled door flanked by large
C20 windows with semi-circular heads; the wings are linked at the front by
a 3-bay arcade of semi-circular arches with raised keys and cornice capped
by bases of former finials, stone sundial to centre of main range at first
floor level inscribed "TEMPUS FUGIT". Attached single-storey, 3-bay wing
with glazing bar sashes and a parapet with fleur-de-lys, links the house
with a small 2-storey, 3-bay house, a wall links this house with the 2-storey
stable block. North elevation: Provincial Baroque. 3 storeys with
storey bands and partly balustraded parapet turned down at each end in
convex quadrants; 2:3:2 bays with applied late C19 concrete quoins to
each corner including those of the central break. Late C19 four-pane
sashes within early C18 surrounds with segmental heads and raised keys,
the second floor lights to each side of the central break are blind. The
parapet balustrades follow the same rythm as the windows. Central half-
glazed door with elaborate surround including Corinthian pilasters and
scrolled swan-neck pediment; cast iron drainpipes to each side of the
central break with rainwater heads bearing the arms of the Earl of Lichfield.
Single-storey wing to the left linking the main building with the small
house already mentioned, it has a semi-circular gable. B.o.E. p. 54.

Listing NGR: SK1499216015

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.