History in Structure

Church of St Werburgh

A Grade II* Listed Building in Hanbury, Staffordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8485 / 52°50'54"N

Longitude: -1.7478 / 1°44'51"W

OS Eastings: 417084

OS Northings: 327921

OS Grid: SK170279

Mapcode National: GBR 4BT.GXM

Mapcode Global: WHCFY.4N0M

Plus Code: 9C4WR7X2+CV

Entry Name: Church of St Werburgh

Listing Date: 12 March 1964

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374435

English Heritage Legacy ID: 273611

ID on this website: 101374435

Location: St Werburgh's Church, Hanbury, East Staffordshire, DE13

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire

Civil Parish: Hanbury

Traditional County: Staffordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Staffordshire

Church of England Parish: Hanbury St Werburgh

Church of England Diocese: Lichfield

Tagged with: Church building

Find accommodation in


SK 12 NE
2/32 Church of
St Werburgh

Parish church. C13 work to C12-core and C15 facing. Rebuilt north and
south aisles of 1824 and 1869 and chancel or 1862 by Hine and Evans of
Nottingham. Coursed and finely dressed sandstone blocks; lead roofs to
nave and aisles hidden behind parapets and Welsh slate to chancel with
verge parapets. Tower, north and south aisles, chancel. Tower: C14 of
5 stages, the top stage entirely rebuilt to the Encumbent's design in
1883; strings define 2 upper stages; diagonal buttresses of 3 stages;
pinnacles and gargoyles at angles, crenellated parapet with fretted
arcade frieze of pointed arches below. Paired bell-chamber openings
labelled and pointed of 2 lights and panel tracery over similar single
windows to lower stage. West window pointed of 5 lights in 2 tiers with
4-centred arch doors below. Niche set in south side first stage of 1842
and containing a statue of St Werburgh, and pointed door below. South
aisle mainly C19 of 4 unequal bays alternately short/long and divided by
3-stage buttresses finished as gabletted pinnacles above parapet. 3-
light labelled pointed windows with panel tracery to all but right of
centre bay of 2 lights; pointed labelled door to left. Clerestory: of
3 bays, inset from ends; 3 windows of 3 lights with panel tracery and
3-centred labelled heads. North aisle rebuilt 1824 and altered 1870,
similar to south. Chancel: of significantly different style, most
noticeable by the steeply-pitched roof and Decorated windows. 3 bays
divided by 2-stage buttresses; 2-light pointed windows (with one single-
light to south-west corner) to each bay; Priest door against inner
buttress of east bay; 5-light pointed east window and flat-roofed vestry
attached to north. Interior: nave of 4 bays; double-chamfered pointed
arches and moulded capitals on round columns, Norman to north and replica
to south, pointed chancel arch; nave roof of cambered and moulded ties
with painted bosses apparently C15 but dated 1698. Chancel: one decorative
scheme with painted diagonally boarded roof and painted walls depicting
religious scenes, all in reasonably subdued colours. Pulpit: in the style
of Street in stone and alabaster; circular on clustered columns; trefoil-
headed blind arcade on marble columns around sides. Font: of coloured
local alabaster and imported marble; square on 4 extended columns and
built over the carved Norman font, still discernible within the present
composition. Glass: in south aisle and south-east window, medieval
remains. East and west window by Ward and Hughes of 1894. Lower part of
tower walls covered in purpose-made glazed tiles of 1883 as a family
memorial. 2 Saxon crosses are built into the west wall adjacent to the
south door. Monuments: Sir John de Hanbury died 1303, in the east of
the south aisle of alabaster. A recumbent effigy clasping sword and with
crossed legs and dog; possibly a later attempt by the Hanbury family to
add credibility to their lineage; otherwise this would be the earliest
alabaster in England (B.o.E.). Ralph Adderley, died 1595, to north-east
of sanctuary. A large alabaster chest tomb; 3 incised figures to top
slab of Ralph and his 2 wives, moulded edge and sides with carved kneeling
figures of children at the opposite end-or the sanctuary. Sir Charles
Egerton, died 1624, alabaster; a reclining figure in a moulded segmental-
arch canopied niche. Puritan bust plaques to Katherine Agard, died 1620,
and her daughter, Ann Woollocke (south-west chancel), both with ruffs and
steeple hats, and Dorothy Villiers, died 1665. East corner of north aisle:
Sir John Egerton, died 1662, similar to Egerton monument of 1624, but with
damaged canopy. Also in the north aisle to the west is monument to
John Wilson, died 1839. Neo-classical low-relief plaque of marble
depicting a seated woman in Architectonic Doric-surrounds by Hollins.
Brass: under chancel steps, Sir John Cheyne, Rector, 1363-91. Much
worn figure with cassock, surplice, almace and cope. There is also
a low-relief carved cross plaque over the Adderley memorial. B.o.E;
Notes on St Werburgh's Church.

Listing NGR: SK1708427921

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.