History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ulverston, Cumbria

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.199 / 54°11'56"N

Longitude: -3.0914 / 3°5'28"W

OS Eastings: 328899

OS Northings: 478685

OS Grid: SD288786

Mapcode National: GBR 6MVW.JJ

Mapcode Global: WH725.HQ4C

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 2 March 1950

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1374977

English Heritage Legacy ID: 459895

Location: Ulverston, South Lakeland, Cumbria, LA12

County: Cumbria

District: South Lakeland

Civil Parish: Ulverston

Built-Up Area: Ulverston

Traditional County: Lancashire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Ulverston St Mary with Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in
Ulverston

Listing Text


ULVERSTON

SD2878 CHURCH WALK
626-1/3/10 Church of St Mary
02/03/50

II*

Parish church. C16 with re-used C12 south doorway. Restored
and enlarged 1804. Extensively restored and partly rebuilt
1864-6 by Paley. Chancel extended 1903-4 by Austin and Paley,
who also re-furnished the east end of the south aisle in 1923
as the War Memorial Chapel. Sandstone and limestone rubble
with red sandstone dressings and slate roofs.
PLAN: comprises a west tower, nave with clerestorey, south
aisle and south porch, a north aisle under a pitched roof, and
a chancel.
EXTERIOR: the tower is of 3 stages and has angle buttresses
and an embattled parapet. The west window is pointed, of 3
lights with Perpendicular tracery. Below there is a doorway
which is hollow-chamfered with a segmental arch. The bell
openings are each of 3 lights with flat heads, mullions, slate
louvres, and hoodmoulds. On the south side of the wall of the
middle stage is an inscribed tablet with hoodmould.
The north aisle is of 7 bays separated by buttresses and has
pointed windows with Perpendicular tracery. All are of 2
lights except for the western one in the north wall which is
of 3 lights, as is the east window. The west window is of 5
lights.
On the south side the clerestorey windows are mullioned, of 3
lights with flat heads and hoodmoulds. The south aisle windows
are pointed and of 2 lights: to the left of the priest's door
there are 4 windows and to the right there are 2. The porch,
towards the west end, is gabled with a cross finial and with a
moulded 4-centred outer doorway which has a hoodmould and
angel stops. The inner doorway appears to be re-set and has a
round arch of 3 orders (including chevron and cable ornament)
with chamfered imposts. The east chancel window is of 5
lights, and a south buttress is inscribed 'MDCCCCIII'.
INTERIOR: the pointed tower arch is chamfered in 2 orders
which die into the responds. The 7-bay arcades date from 1804
and are plastered, with pointed chamfered arches springing
from octagonal columns with moulded caps. The open timber roof
has braced collar trusses alternating with king-post trusses
which have queen struts and corbelled wall posts. The chancel
extension is of sandstone ashlar and has double sedilia and a
piscina, and a boarded barrel roof. 2 bays of the main arcades
are within the chancel, which is raised above the level of the
nave and divided from it by a low sandstone wall pierced by
quatrefoils.
FITTINGS: the choir stalls are of carved oak, and oak screens
with carved tracery (probably by Austin and Paley) divide the
chancel from the south chapel and from the north vestry and
organ chamber. A similar screen divides the organ chamber from
the north aisle. The organ was re-built in the later C20, but
the organ case (which faces towards the north vestry) has 6
timber Corinthian columns supporting an entablature.
MEMORIALS: the numerous memorials include a tomb chest in the
north aisle (formerly in the south chapel) with the carved
effigy of William Sandys of Conishead Priory (d.1559). At the
west end of the south aisle there is a canopied mural monument
to Miles Dodding (d.1629) with a small recumbent figure and a
Latin inscription. At the east end of the south aisle there
are memorial brasses to an earlier Miles Dodding (d.1606) and
his wife set in a tablet of polished limestone in an
Elizabethan style which appears to be early C19.

Listing NGR: SD2889978685


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.