This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4932 / 52°29'35"N
Longitude: -1.9358 / 1°56'8"W
OS Eastings: 404453
OS Northings: 288362
OS Grid: SP044883
Mapcode National: GBR 5R4.F4
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.DLGL
Entry Name: All Saints Hospital
Listing Date: 19 September 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375351
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466246
Location: Birmingham, B18
Electoral Ward/Division: Soho
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Ladywood
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 08 NW BIRMINGHAM LODGE ROAD
997/6/10150 All Saints Hospital
Former borough lunatic asylum. Dated 1849, by D R Hill. Red brick with blue brick diapers flanking the entrance and forming a lst floor band. Stone dressings and mullions. Slated roofs behind stone balustrades and Dutch gables over projecting bays. Tudor style. Symmetrical design of 3~storey 5 window central block with projecting outer bays, flanked by recessed 2-storey 3 window blocks and terminating with 3-storey 3 window blocks: basement. Central, Tudor-arched stone-cased entrance, approached by steps, has Tudor-arched doorway with 2-leaf linen-fold panelled wooden doors flanked by windows; above, a ribband inscribed "Erected Anno. Domini MDCCCXLIX" and a carved heraldic shield. A double-height oriel window flanked by 2-light transom and mullion windows, 3-light to outer bays, articulates the lst floor chapel. Gables contain blank stone shields in lugged rectangular recesses and have urn finials. Recessed bays have subsidiary part-glazed, Tudor~arched entrances approached by steps. Interior: plain. Chapel has open queen strut truss roof and later stained glass. History: Hill designed many city institutional commissions during the mid C19 and this asylum formed a civic group with his contemporary Winson Green Prison. The asylum was extended from 1851 to 1878 and during the C20; these extensions are not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SP0445388362
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings