This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.457 / 51°27'25"N
Longitude: -1.0038 / 1°0'13"W
OS Eastings: 469309
OS Northings: 173583
OS Grid: SU693735
Mapcode National: GBR QCF.N4
Mapcode Global: VHDWS.KM5X
Entry Name: Former Hospital, Brock Barracks
Listing Date: 8 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375593
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469557
Location: Reading, RG30
Electoral Ward/Division: Norcot
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Tilehurst St George
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 67 SE READING OXFORD ROAD
Former hospital, Brock barracks
Barracks hospital. 1877, designed at the War Office by Mahor HC Seddon RE, supervising engineer Major Flint RE. Red brick with yellow brick bands, moulded brick heads and stone dressings; truncated ridge stacks and tiled cross-gable roof. PLAN: double-depth administrative N end and S ward with corner sanitary tower. EXTERIOR 2 storeys; 3:3-window range. An asymmetrical block with yellow sill and lintel bands and a moulded brick transom band, the administrative end has paired gables to the N and a cross gable each side, the ward range is gabled to the S, all coped on moulded kneelers; tall narrow windows with small-paned sashes, transoms and cambered heads Square sanitary tower to SE corner has narrow 4/4-pane sashes and a parapet with bracketed coping. Mid C20 extension to the side of the central W doorway, in the same style. INTERIOR: plain, the ward divided to form classrooms. HISTORY: an example of a Localisation hospital containing orderlies' rooms, offices and 2 cross-lit wards, built for the Reading Localisation depot. A standard single-ward adaptation of the pavilion plan, with the, characteristic sanitary annexe, for a brigade depot; compare with the more elaborate example at the former Norwich barracks. The Cardwell reforms redistributed barracks around the country to encourage local connections, and assist recruitment. Included as part of, with Bodmin, one of the two most complete surviving depots. (Watson Colone Sir HM: History of the Corps of Royal Engineers: Chatham: 1954-: 157-160).
Listing NGR: SU6930973583
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings