History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

67-77, Charterhouse Street Ec1

A Grade II Listed Building in Clerkenwell, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5195 / 51°31'10"N

Longitude: -0.1028 / 0°6'9"W

OS Eastings: 531730

OS Northings: 181773

OS Grid: TQ317817

Mapcode National: GBR P9.2G

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.52JG

Entry Name: 67-77, Charterhouse Street Ec1

Listing Date: 8 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375616

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469581

Location: Islington, London, EC1M

County: London

District: Islington

Electoral Ward/Division: Clerkenwell

Built-Up Area: Islington

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Sepulchre Holborn

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text

TQ 3181 NE CHARTERHOUSE STREET, EC1

635/77/10095 Nos. 67-77

II

Market building. Built in 1872 as a meat market with six shops at ground level and occupied as such until the meat traders moved out into the adjoining Smithfield Market in 1877. Ruskinian Venetian Gothic style. Architect not known at time of survey. Built of red brick with some polychrome brick and Portland stone dressings; roof was a hipped slate roof but was missing at time of survey. Three storeys and basement; 6 windows. Cornice missing at time of survey but dogtooth band with lion's head masks survive. Three high relief masks in roundels above central second floor windows. The upper two storeys are articulated by their windows, which are united architecturally across the two floors with arcading with round-headed arches with polychrome decoration and two storey brick pilasters with stone carved ironpost blocks and bases. The two outer windows have central half-columns and floral roundel. The four central windows are tripartite, with identical half columns, the upper windows having Venetian heads with four glazed roundels and central floral roundel. First floor windows have flat arches. Sash windows with horns. Ground floor has original fascia with cornice and roundels and chamfered pilasters with animal heads discreetly referring-to the meat trade the building was designed for. Shopfronts are early C20. Pear elevation is plainer with paired sashes to ground and first floor and metal casements to second floor. Interior retains original metal columns and wooden floorjoists.


Listing NGR: TQ3172881775

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.