This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2836 / 51°17'0"N
Longitude: 0.0493 / 0°2'57"E
OS Eastings: 543016
OS Northings: 155824
OS Grid: TQ430558
Mapcode National: GBR N3.YZQ
Mapcode Global: VHHPH.SZYW
Entry Name: Rysted with Attached Garage, Fuel Stores, Pergola, Terrace Walling, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 21 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469698
Location: Westerham, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN16
Civil Parish: Westerham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Westerham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
TQ 45 NW WESTERHAM PILGRIMS WAY
771/40/10057 Rysted with attached garage
fuel stores, pergola, terrace
walling, gatepiers and gates
House with attached garage, fuel storage, pergola, terrace walls gatepiers and gates. Built in 1930 in International Moderne style, Architect AH Jones but design very much influenced by owner, Mr Percy Rothwell, a university physicist but enthusiast for modern buildings. Cavity brick walls rendered and painted with flat roof covered with bitumen. Two storeys; 2 windows. Metal Crittall windows which were replaced in replica at the end of the 1980s from the same firm. Corner windows with structure above supported partly by the window mullion and partly by an L shaped concrete lintel. Fluted frieze beneath overhanging eaves. Roof tank. South west front is principal front, situated to take advantage of the views, with French windows flanked by sidelights. North west front has entrance with flat hood, metal door flanked by sidelights and low level letter box. Attached to north is flat-roofed garage with original triple door which unusually slides lengthways into the garage. There is attached fuel storage which leads on the north east side to an attached brick and metal three bay pergola of an unusual type, reminiscent of three horizontal glazed casements. Attached terrace brick walls lead south to square brick gatepiers with rendered caps and wooden double doors. Staircase hall has double doors with glazed panels and lozenge decorations and half winder oak staircase with built-in cupboard with gilt bands. Some wood salvaged from a Cunard liner. A H Jones worked for the company. Living room has fluted frieze and a stepped fireplace surround with black tiles and chrome and built-in picture surround above. Built-in oak cupboards have oak shelves and cupboards with lozenge decoration. Original central heating radiators, oak flooring and black tiles to window surrounds. Doors are limed Oregon pine. Master bedroom and another bedroom have built-in cupboards. [Listed in Jeremy Gould "Modern Houses in Britain 1919-1939" in Architectural History Monographs no1 of Society of Architectural historians of great Britain. 1977.]
Listing NGR: TQ4301655824
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings