This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.1872 / 53°11'13"N
Longitude: -2.8686 / 2°52'7"W
OS Eastings: 342053
OS Northings: 365917
OS Grid: SJ420659
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.3CNY
Mapcode Global: WH88F.X44Z
Entry Name: Walmoor House
Listing Date: 10 January 1972
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375760
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469739
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Great Boughton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ46NW DEE BANKS
1932-1/2/59 (West side)
10/01/72 Walmoor House
(Formerly Listed as:
House, later girls school, then County Fire Service
headquarters. 1896. By John Douglas for himself. Snecked red
sandstone with tooled surfaces; grey-green slate roof.
T-shaped, in Elizabethan manner, main wing crowning steep
EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. The east, entrance front is
composed as a squat 3-storey tower, left, with corbelled
octagonal stair-turret against 2-storey projecting porch with
oriel above basket-arch of entrance; a 2-storey range between
porch and incomplete servants' wing, right; crenellated tower
at junction of wings; stone-mullioned leaded windows;
parapets, some crenellated; hipped roofs. Stringcourses,
sparingly used. The north face of the servants' wing is simply
The west face to the Dee, set on a precipitous bank, has
canted bay windows to end of north wing of basement and 3
storeys; octagonal tower rising to 4 storeys at junction of
wings; 3-window range of 2 storeys; 3 storey south bay with
large canted projection to outer corner holding large
mullioned and transomed windows to ground and first floors and
small second-floor windows.
INTERIOR retains many features including the principal
reception room, now conference room, the stair and notably the
oratory in the chamber above the main entrance.
The plan is foreshadowed on a smaller scale by the former
rectory of St Thomas's Church, Parkgate Road (qv) on a similar
westward-facing valley-brow site, 1880; his unexecuted ideal
design for such a site, larger than Walmoor and a schloss, was
published in British Architect, 68, 1907.
(Hubbard E: The Work of John Douglas: London: 1991-: 7-9; 189;
RCHME: Historic Building Report - Walmoor Hill, Dee Banks,
Chester: Swindon: 1997-).
Listing NGR: SJ4205365917
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings