History in Structure

47 and 49, Foregate Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Chester, Cheshire West and Chester

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 53.1914 / 53°11'28"N

Longitude: -2.8867 / 2°53'12"W

OS Eastings: 340851

OS Northings: 366398

OS Grid: SJ408663

Mapcode National: GBR 7B.2TJH

Mapcode Global: WH88F.M1LR

Plus Code: 9C5V54R7+G8

Entry Name: 47 and 49, Foregate Street

Listing Date: 23 May 1967

Last Amended: 23 July 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1375800

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469779

ID on this website: 101375800

Location: Chester, Cheshire West and Chester, Cheshire, CH1

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Chester

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Tagged with: Townhouse Hotel Shop

Find accommodation in
Hough Green



(North side)

Nos.47 AND 49

(Formerly Listed as: FOREGATE STREET Nos.47 AND 49 Old Nag's Head Inn)



Town house, later hotel, now shop and ancillary accommodation.
1597, rebuilt approximately in original form 1914 for Peter
Walker and Sons Brewery, restored and converted to part of
shop premises c1980. Timber frame with plaster panels; steel
framing; Westmorland green slate roof, ridge parallel with
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 3 bays, almost symmetrical. Triple modern
doors just left of centre; polished granite plinth, carried up
beneath each post; 2 narrow 2-pane windows and a modern
secondary door left of entrance; 4 similar windows right of
entrance. End-posts and post between each opening have Ionic
reverse-taper pilasters having herms with varied expressions,
carrying corbels. Jettied first floor has quadrant-braced
small-framing, a central mullioned and transomed 3-light
casement and a canted 5-light mullioned and transomed oriel on
3 ornate consoles to each side. The second floor has a central
2-light casement above 2 arch-braced panels; a tripartite
1;2;1 light casement and herringbone struts in jettied gable
on 2 herms, to each side; all windows are leaded. A
wrought-iron sign-bracket over doorway. The tiebeam to left
gable is inscribed "BUILT 1597 AD"; the right gable tiebeam is
inscribed "REBUILT 1914 AD". Bargeboards and drop finials. A
lavishly detailed tall brick chimney on ridge, right of
INTERIOR not inspected.

Listing NGR: SJ 40851 66398

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.