This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.19 / 53°11'24"N
Longitude: -2.8853 / 2°53'6"W
OS Eastings: 340946
OS Northings: 366245
OS Grid: SJ409662
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.31MY
Mapcode Global: WH88F.N28S
Entry Name: Former Rectory and Garden Railing
Listing Date: 28 July 1955
Last Amended: 23 July 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1375975
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469956
Location: Cheshire West and Chester, CH1
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Electoral Ward/Division: Chester City
Built-Up Area: Chester
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Chester St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chester
CHESTER CITY (EM)
SJ4066 VICARS LANE
1932-1/6/287 (North side)
Former Rectory and garden railing
(Formerly Listed as:
St John's Rectory)
Vicarage later rectory, then social club, now offices. c1750.
Red-brown brick, Flemish bond to front; grey slate roof.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 5 windows. Painted stone plinth with
moulded cap; rusticated quoins; 5-panel door and overlight
with looped criss-cross glazing bars in painted stone Gibbs
surround with pulvinated frieze and pediment; simple sillband;
2 flush 12-pane sashes each side of doorway. First-floor band;
sillband; five flush 12-pane sashes; individual sills to five
shorter 9-pane sashes to second floor; all windows to front
have rusticated wedge lintels with projecting keystones.
Modillion cornice; 10-course brick parapet with simple painted
stone cornice; almost central gabled attic dormer behind
parapet; flush chimneys on stone-coped gables.
The left end has one almost flush sash per storey, 12-pane to
ground floor and first floor and 6-pane to second floor.
Rear has replaced 6-panel door, a flush 12-pane sash, and a
similar opening blocked, to each side of door. The first floor
has stair window of 6 panes above 12 panes, a blocked opening
and a flush 12-pane sash to each side; the second floor has a
flush 6-pane sash and a flush 9-pane sash.
INTERIOR: entrance hall has replaced inner door, original dado
rail and modillion cornice; doors of 6 fielded panels; round
archway with fluted pilasters. The front left room has
panelled dado, timber fire surround, panelled embrasures,
possibly later cornice; the front right room has panelled
embrasures; the back left room has part of dado rail, corner
fireplace with good carved overmantel; panelled embrasure.
Good 6-flight open-well open-string stair with carved
brackets, curtail step with rose on ring of balusters, 3
column-on-vase balusters per step, drop-newels at landings and
dado-rail on panelled pilasters; swept rail, probably of oak.
The first-floor front room occupying central and left bays has
panelled embrasures, fire surround with eared architrave, swag
frieze and dentil cornice, good ceiling cornice; the front
right room has panelled embrasure. The rear is altered; simple
C18 fireplace in left room.
Features have largely been stripped from the second floor.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: simple iron garden rail on stone plinth.
Listing NGR: SJ4094666245
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings