This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.9726 / 54°58'21"N
Longitude: -1.6104 / 1°36'37"W
OS Eastings: 425035
OS Northings: 564289
OS Grid: NZ250642
Mapcode National: GBR SPQ.MC
Mapcode Global: WHC3R.78CS
Entry Name: Worswick Chambers
Listing Date: 5 August 1998
Last Amended: 12 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376003
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469985
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1
County: Newcastle upon Tyne
Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate
Built-Up Area: Newcastle upon Tyne
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Tyne and Wear
Church of England Parish: Newcastle Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
NZ 2564 SW
Nos 85-91, Worswick
Includes: Worswick Chambers, Nos 2-12 WORSWICK STREET. Commercial premises with shops and offices. 1891 and 1898 with minor C20 alterations. Designed by W Lister Newcombe of Newcastle. Red brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with tall brick chimney stacks. 3 storeys. Worswick Street facade has 17 windows. Ground floor has central doorway with double panel doors and monumental stone surround with doubled brackets and gabled top over round arch with carved tympanum and lintel inscribed WORSWICK CHAMBERS. Either side various shops some retaining their original pilasters and plain fascia boards. Upper floors have giant brick Doric pilasters with stone bases and capitals, topped with deep entablature decorated with elaborate carved paired brackets. First floor has 17 large plain sashes set back in ashlar surrounds, above continuous linked and moulded lintels each with a carved portrait head under a gothic gable. Second floor has 17 smaller plain sashes in ashlar surrounds with Caernarvon arched lintels. Projecting cornice topped with stone parapet. Central tower has single oval window with moulded ashlar surround a steep pyramidal hipped roof. Pilgrim Street facade has 8 windows with identical facade topped with central 2 window dormer topped with single pediment. INTERIOR has stone staircase with elaborate iron balustrade and wooden handrail. History: This building was built as part of the "new cut" of Worswick Street laid out c1870. It was built in two stages, the first part along Pilgrim Street and the first part of Worswick Street was built from 1891, and the second section further along Worswick Street and the tower was built from 1898.
Listing NGR: NZ2503564289
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings