History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Copt Oak, Markfield, Leicestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.7115 / 52°42'41"N

Longitude: -1.2865 / 1°17'11"W

OS Eastings: 448299

OS Northings: 312886

OS Grid: SK482128

Mapcode National: GBR 7JY.ZHF

Mapcode Global: WHDJ2.63MM

Plus Code: 9C4WPP67+HC

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376012

English Heritage Legacy ID: 469998

Location: Markfield, Hinckley and Bosworth, Leicestershire, LE67

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

Civil Parish: Markfield

Traditional County: Leicestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Leicestershire

Church of England Parish: Copt Oak St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Leicester

Find accommodation in
Thringstone

Listing Text

SK 41 SE MARKFIELD WHITWICK ROAD
(east side,(off), Copt Oak
1/10006 CHURCH OF ST PETER

II

Church. 1836-37, extended 1889. By William Railton, with extension by Ewan Christian. Charnwood granite with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. Chamfered plinth, and cill band. Nave with chancel and west tower. Angle buttresses. Tower has pointed arch doorway to west with double plank doors and iron hinges, above a pair of tall lancets and a then a small round opening with quatrefoil tracery, south face has a single lancet with a pair of very narrow lancets above. North face has projecting stair turret with shouldered arch doorway. Top stage has 3 lancet bell openings, the central one slightly broader, to each face. Above plain parapets and simple corner pinnacles. Nave has 5 lancet windows on each side with buttresses between. Chancel south front has pointed arched priest's door flanked by single small lancets. East end has a single 3-light pointed arch window with plate tracery. Chancel north front has projecting gabled organ chamber with a single lancet to west, and chancel has single small lancet. INTERIOR has fine wooden single hammer beam roof, double chamfered chancel and tower arches. Minton tile chancel, with carved alabaster reredos. Fittings include brass and wood altar rail, carved wooden choir stalls and pews. Carved wooden octagonal pulpit.


Listing NGR: SK4831812453

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.