History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dales

A Grade II Listed Building in Hassocks, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.9468 / 50°56'48"N

Longitude: -0.0912 / 0°5'28"W

OS Eastings: 534188

OS Northings: 118110

OS Grid: TQ341181

Mapcode National: GBR KNZ.FS0

Mapcode Global: FRA B6PL.Y0L

Plus Code: 9C2XWWW5+PG

Entry Name: Dales

Listing Date: 24 August 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1376150

English Heritage Legacy ID: 470142

Location: Westmeston, Lewes, East Sussex, BN6

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Westmeston

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Ditchling, Streat and Westmeston

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Ditchling

Listing Text

TF 31 NW WESTMESTON DITCHLING COMMON

946/4/10033 Dales

24.08.1998 II


Cottage. Early to mid C18 commons encroachment cottage, refenestrated within existing openings in C20 and with C19 outshots to north and south. Original part has a ground floor of English garden wall bond with timberframed first floor clad in tilehanging. Tiled roof hipped to south end and end chimneystack to north. Two and a half bays, including chimney bay to north and possibly original outshot to west. Two storeys; two windows. C20 oak framed casements within original oak frames, triple on ground floor. Central heck door. Catslide roof to rear. Interior has large open fireplace with wooden bressumer which originally had a bread oven projecting to the west. Series of battened plank doors with wooden latches are probably original. Exposed floor joists to ground floor, frame to first floor with some diagonal braces and side purlin roof with roughly quartered timber of small scantling, flat collars and no ridgepieces. The earliest record of ownership dates back to 1760 on the list of tithepayers. The cottage is named after the owner in 1838, Edward Dale.
[See Dr Annabelle Hughes unpublished report of April 1998 on Dale Cottage.]

Listing NGR: TQ3418818110

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.