This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2063 / 51°12'22"N
Longitude: -2.1813 / 2°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 387432
OS Northings: 145248
OS Grid: ST874452
Mapcode National: GBR 1V6.7CL
Mapcode Global: VH97H.4YP4
Entry Name: Baptist Church
Listing Date: 27 August 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376197
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470191
Location: Warminster, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Warminster
Built-Up Area: Warminster
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Warminster St Denys
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
ST 84 NE WARMINSTER NORTH ROW
929/6/10005 Baptist Church
Baptist chapel. Dated 1810; remodelled circa 1850. Flemish bond red brick with stone dressings. Clay plain tile hipped roof with small metal ventilator on ridge.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan, its liturgical east end at the west end. Originally galleried on three sides, entrance on east front under remaining gallery. Organ chamber and church rooms in lean-to added at west end in about 1850.
EXTERIOR: 3-bay east front with two large round arch windows with plain stone frames with small keystones and circa mid C19 plate tracery; lunette high up at centre, similarly treated and with stone tablet below inscribed:- EBENEZER CHAPEL 1810; central doorway below in plain stone frame with keystone and with flush-panel double doors. 3-bay north and south sides, first floor round-arch windows with small keystones and mid C19 stone plate tracery; ground floor window with flat arches and mid C19 stone frames inserted. At west end the main roof is carried down over projecting centre bay[organ chamber] and outshut below with slate lean-to roof.
INTERIOR remodelled circa 1850. Arcaded west wall with organ chamber in wider centre bay with balcony with ornate cast-iron balustrade and circa 1850 Baroque organ by Nelson. Gallery at east end on thin iron posts and with similar cast-iron balustrade. Dentilled ceiling cornice, central rose with acanthus leaves and reeding, and ventilator grilles. Rostrum and seating replaced, except for original benches in gallery. Pair of original gallery stairs with stick balusters and column newels. Memorial on west wall to Sarah Roberts d.1825 and her two daughters, Sarah and Eliza d.1824.
Listing NGR: ST8743245248
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings