This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3275 / 52°19'38"N
Longitude: 0.5954 / 0°35'43"E
OS Eastings: 576959
OS Northings: 273104
OS Grid: TL769731
Mapcode National: GBR QCW.1C8
Mapcode Global: VHJG7.8RMM
Entry Name: Icklingham Community Centre and the Old School House
Listing Date: 11 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376501
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470503
Location: Icklingham, Forest Heath, Suffolk, IP28
District: Forest Heath
Civil Parish: Icklingham
Built-Up Area: Icklingham
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Icklingham St James
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TL 77 SE ICLINGHAM THE STREET
312/5/10002 Icklingham Community Centre
and The Old School House
Former school, now community centre, with attached school house. Dated CEG 1855' for Charles Edward Gibbs. C20 rear additions. Random knapped flint with limestone dressings, and flint pebble plinth. Slate roofs with stone-coped gables and kneelers; decorative ridge tiles and cast-iron ventilator cowls to former school. Tudor Revival style. Single-storey schoolroom to front with 2-storey house to right in the form of a cross-wing. A further schoolroom at right angles to the rear. Front schoolroom has a pair of 3-light stone mullion and transom windows, between which is a small arched stone recess. Left gable end has 4-light window, small latin-cross window over and gabled bell turret. Gabled entrance porch to rear of left gable end: segmental-headed panel door with original ironmongery. House has symmetrical facade facing right with 2 2-light stone mullioned windows: slender horizontal glazing bars. Gabled entrance porch in matching style with original door. In the gable is a sunk circular panel inscribed 1855. Central chimneystack rebuilt mid C20. Gable end facing road has a ground floor stone canted bay with 2-light window over. Datestone in gable in the form of a sunk shield. INTERIOR. Main schoolroom has open timber roof with arched-braced hammerbeam trusses. HISTORY. Built as a National School for o600 at the sole expense of CE Gibbs of Tuddenham Hall. School use ceased 1988.
Listing NGR: TL7695973104
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings