This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7368 / 53°44'12"N
Longitude: -2.5755 / 2°34'31"W
OS Eastings: 362137
OS Northings: 426862
OS Grid: SD621268
Mapcode National: GBR BTG7.66
Mapcode Global: WH970.DBTN
Entry Name: Hoghton Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 21 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470534
Location: Hoghton, Chorley, Lancashire, PR5
Civil Parish: Hoghton
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Hoghton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 62 NW HOGHTON CHAPEL LANE
1837/2/10006 Hoghton Methodist Chapel
Non-conformist chapel, attached boundary wall, gatepiers and gates. Dated 1794, with early C19 extensions and alterations, further altered 1887-8. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings, coped east gable and a Welsh-slated roof covering. L-plan formed by addition to rear of frontage range
FRONT (south) ELEVATION: 2 storeys, 5 bays with off-centre doorway with chamfered surround and semi-circular arched head and blind tympanum enscribed WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL ERECTED 1794.' Asymmetrically divided double doors, one of 6 panels , the other of 3. Flanking the doorway are tall window with stone surrounds, glazing bars and margin lights. A third window of matching appearance to the left-hand end bay. Above, 5 evenly- spaced 2 light windows, that to the centre with a stone mullion.
REAR ELEVATION has 2 storey, 2 bay addition to west part of chapel, built of rubble stone, some walls now rendered.
INTERIOR: early gallery to east wall with panelled front, and supported on 2 turned timber columns. North wall altered to permit extension, and erection of singers' gallery supported by a single stone column. This gallery retains early C19 box pews. Main body of chapel with late C19 pews with dwarf doors. Semi-octagonal late C18 pulpit, brought from a chapel in Blackburn, at west end.
Attached boundary wall, approx 1 metre high, with ridged stone copings, rounded stone gate piers, and ornamental railed gates facing the chapel entrance.
HISTORY: The chapel was originally built in 1794, but was extended and remodelled in the early C19, when the galleries were added. The extension eastwards replicated the original detailing of the facade and incorporated elements of the original building.
Listing NGR: SD6213726862
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings