This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4984 / 51°29'54"N
Longitude: -0.0809 / 0°4'51"W
OS Eastings: 533311
OS Northings: 179459
OS Grid: TQ333794
Mapcode National: GBR TK.Z1
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.KL3Q
Entry Name: Church of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 6 December 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376567
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470571
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Grange
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Bermondsey St Mary Magdalen, St Olave, St John and St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3379 BERMONDSEY STREET
636-1/5/46 (East side)
06/12/49 Church of St Mary Magdalene
Church. 1675-9, incorporating C15 tower, remodelled C19. By
Charles Stanton. Lower stages of west tower C15 (now
obscured), upper part of tower rebuilt and front remodelled
1830, George Porter; chancel lengthened, 1883.
MATERIALS: stucco with slate roof.
PLAN: nave with aisles of differing widths (semicircular gable
extension to south aisle), tower over western entrance.
Chancel an extension of nave, vestry an extension of north
EXTERIOR: west front: remodelled in playful Gothick style with
crenellated parapets to 1st stage of tower and side aisle
lean-to roofs. Tower has pinnacles and upper stage with tiny
lantern surmounting 4 gables. Tudor arches to doors to nave
and aisles, pointed arches to traceried windows above, all
with hood moulds.
INTERIOR: retains late C17 character: closed narthex at west
end with stairs leading to galleries. 4-bay, groin-vaulted
nave with crossing in 2nd bay from west. Shallow vaults north
and south of crossing, suggesting transepts, the southern one
extended south of south aisle wall. Flat aisle ceilings.
Chancel of 2 bays with coffered barrel vault. Arcade of giant
Tuscan columns supporting entablature. Gallery around 3 sides
on slender wooden composite columns, panelled and with carved
cornice having angel heads over columns. South gallery (added
in 1794) set further back into aisle with area below now
screened off to create separate room. Round-arched windows
with leaded lights, that to south transept very large with
FITTINGS: organ in west gallery, case of 1750. Carved reredos
with angel heads and garlands (reassembled). 2 brass
candelabra dated 1699 and 1703 in nave. Large window in east
wall of chancel with stained glass of 1883.
MONUMENTS: large monument, 1681 to William Casteil: black and
white marble on heavy scrolled brackets, with columns, broken
pediment and cresting; and another large monument to the
Browning family, 1758.
The medieval parish church of Bermondsey, it forms a group
with No.191 (qv).
(The Buildings of England: Cherry B: London 2: South: 1983-:
Listing NGR: TQ3331179459
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings