This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 54.1354 / 54°8'7"N
Longitude: -2.0352 / 2°2'6"W
OS Eastings: 397799
OS Northings: 471067
OS Grid: SD977710
Mapcode National: GBR GN7M.59
Mapcode Global: WHB6G.QB21
Entry Name: Chapel at Scargill House, Including Linking Passage, Staircase and Vestry
Listing Date: 25 September 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376604
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470610
Location: Kettlewell with Starbotton, Craven, North Yorkshire, BD23
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Kettlewell with Starbotton
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 97 SE
KETTLEWELL WITH STARBOTTON
Chapel at Scargill House, including linking passage, staircase and vestry
Chapel for religious holiday and conference centre. 1958-61. G.G. Pace. Local limestone rubble, exposed cedar boarding, some exposed concrete, red-cedar shingles to steeply pitched chapel roof, flat roof to link block. Rectangular aisled chapel with serpentine link to Scargill House, containing staircase and vestry; projecting north porch. Chapel is dominated by steeply pitched shingle-covered roof, which sweeps down at a slightly more gradual angle towards the eaves. Gables both glazed, with glazing rising into point of gables, divided by timber mullions and transoms of varying thickness into lights of rectangular shape and varying sizes. Exposed cedar vertical boarding around and below these windows. Prominent buttresses supporting large concrete gutter spouts. Serpentine link of local stone rubble swells to accommodate staircase and attains a monumental scale due to the fall in the land towards Scargill House. It is articulated by rows of linked vertical strip windows.
Internally, the altar is placed on the short axis, parallel with the roof ridge, and is set forward from the wall as a broad, low, sanctuary step. Internally the walls are of exposed rubble stone and the roof is supported by large laminated timber trusses, which divide into a `y' shape at the base to define the aisles. The windows are glazed with plain plate glass deliberately chosen to allow glimpses of the dale. Reading desk and chair comprises roughly dressed monolithic stone slabs with `chunky' timber; a pair of pedestals to rear of altar also of stone. A large black metal cross to rear of altar is also in Pace's characteristic manner. `Chunky' timber benches. Simple black metal pendant lights, cylindrical, with slightly flared mouths, are also original. Varnished wood block floor. In the passage a cross is described in studs on the plastered wall of the staircase. Scargill House itself is not included in the listing.
One of Pace's best churches, deceptive in its simplicity and designed, using local materials `to appear to grow out of the dale', as Pace intended. It is also liturgically advanced for its date in England, with its free-standing altar placed in front of the side wall.
Listing NGR: SD9779971067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings