This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5067 / 51°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.0886 / 0°5'18"W
OS Eastings: 532752
OS Northings: 180373
OS Grid: TQ327803
Mapcode National: GBR SG.82
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.FD19
Entry Name: Hibernia Chambers
Listing Date: 27 April 1970
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 470639
Location: Southwark, London, SE1
Electoral Ward/Division: Cathedrals
Built-Up Area: Southwark
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Saviour with All Hallows Southwark
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ3280SE BOROUGH HIGH STREET
636-1/17/72 (West side)
Formerly known as: Hibernia Chambers LONDON BRIDGE.
Commercial chambers. 1850. By William Cubitt. Yellow brick
with stone dressings. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with substantial basement plinth and 8
bays to Borough High Street; 2 main storeys with lower-level
basement storey and 6 bays to south return.
Main elevation has each outer bay flanked by giant pilasters
on 2 planes supporting heavy entablature with panelled frieze
and modillion cornice with balustraded parapet above. Each
outer bay has entrance opening in stone architrave, treated as
ground-floor windows but with segmental pediment above (right
one is now a window). Ground-floor sash windows with glazing
bars have architraves, friezes and cornices on console
brackets. 1st-floor sash windows with glazing bars have
South return treated similarly except that there are pilasters
between all windows and an arcaded basement storey of banded
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Until reconstructed in 1976, this area below Borough High
Street level was warehouses. The London Provision Exchange was
established at Hibernia Chambers at the beginning of the C20.
Listing NGR: TQ3274580387
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings