This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4291 / 51°25'44"N
Longitude: -2.1845 / 2°11'4"W
OS Eastings: 387269
OS Northings: 170021
OS Grid: ST872700
Mapcode National: GBR 1RH.6KB
Mapcode Global: VH96J.3B0T
Plus Code: 9C3VCRH8+J6
Entry Name: Former County Primary School
Listing Date: 5 January 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1376793
English Heritage Legacy ID: 469011
Location: Corsham, Wiltshire, SN13
Civil Parish: Corsham
Built-Up Area: Corsham
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Greater Corsham
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Former County Primary School
School; now arts centre. 1895; for Corsham School Board. Coursed rock-faced limestone rubble with freestone dressings. Clay plain tile roof with stone coped gables with kneelers. Stone axial stacks with moulded cornices. Free Jacobean style. PLAN: One range with infants' school to east with a classroom, hall and cloakroom, and a separate boys' school occupying the west end of the building with three classrooms, the third opening up into a hall and with a cloakroom. The boys' and infants' school playgrounds are separated by a wall with a range of boys' and infants' lavatories at the end, with attached open-sided shelters. Girls probably occupied the former British School [listed 5/3431 situated in the infants' playground. EXTERIOR: Single storey with attics over cloakrooms. Asymmetrical gabled elevations with stone mullion-transom windows. Infants' school facing east has two gables with large stone mullion-transom window to right, 2-storey gable to left with small stone mullion windows and stone gabled portal at centre with pilasters, 3-centred arch and ball finials. The south elevation has gable at centre, large window on right breaking caves with twin hipped roof and gable-ended range on left. Boys' school facing west has gables to left and right with large stone mullion-transom windows and stone portal to left of centre with semicircular gable, ball finials, pilasters and 3-centred arch. The long north elevation has large central gable flanked by two smaller gables, all with large stone mullion-transom windows. Over the ridges are small ventilators with conical caps and over the centre there is a wooden bellcote with a tiled spire. INTERIOR,: Glazed partitions. The boys' cloakroom is said to have its original pegs. INCLUDING: Boys' and infants' lavatory range and adjoining shelters, Connected to school on south side by stone wall separating the two playgrounds; gabled gateway through the wall.
Listing NGR: ST8726970021
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings