This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.094 / 52°5'38"N
Longitude: 1.3137 / 1°18'49"E
OS Eastings: 627079
OS Northings: 249146
OS Grid: TM270491
Mapcode National: GBR WQ5.NY2
Mapcode Global: VHLBP.QMBL
Plus Code: 9F4338V7+JF
Entry Name: The Shire Hall and Corn Exchange
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377037
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284705
Location: Woodbridge, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP12
Civil Parish: Woodbridge
Built-Up Area: Woodbridge
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woodbridge St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
The Shire Hall and Corn Exchange
Considered to have been built circa 1575.An extract from Loder's Terrier of 1792 statesthat "Mr Seckford built...tile Sessions Hall at woodbridge(the Quarter Sessions being removed from Melton,where it was formerly held)giving the upper part of it for the use of the County for ever." The building is J storey,with stone coped Dutch gable end crowned with a small pediment,The former Corn Exchange which was open arched has now been bricked up and sash windows inserted.The walls are red brick,moulded cornice at first floor level,and band about three feet under eaves.Stone plinth end stone dressings finishing below band,and the flatter pitch of the main roof span to that of the gables at each end,and the difference in the brickwork above the band seem to indicate that an earlier roof existed,and that in general the present appearance with the stone steps and railings giving external access to the Shire Hill on the east end west ends,are of the latter apart of the C17.On the east end are two plaster lined niches,and on the north and south sides,two bull's eye plastered panels with a bullseye in each sable,the eastern one now having a clock face.A possible clue the suggested later reconstruction exists in the two Seckford Coats of Arms On the east end is one in wood which shows the crescent in the centre of the quartering,indicating the position of Thomas Seckford in the family,but on the west end the stone coat of arms built into the Structure omits this detail.There is a record that the west end of the Market Fall was leased for fifty years from 1817 as a Fire Station.Ancient monument.NMR photos.All listed buildings in Market Hill form a group around Shire Hall.
Listing NGR: TM2707949146
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings