This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0917 / 52°5'30"N
Longitude: 1.3153 / 1°18'55"E
OS Eastings: 627206
OS Northings: 248893
OS Grid: TM272488
Mapcode National: GBR WQ5.WXP
Mapcode Global: VHLBP.RP7C
Entry Name: Athenrye Court (Flats)
Listing Date: 25 January 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 284655
Location: Woodbridge, Suffolk Coastal, Suffolk, IP12
District: Suffolk Coastal
Civil Parish: Woodbridge
Built-Up Area: Woodbridge
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Woodbridge St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
CUMBERLAND STREET(South Side)
Athenrye Court (Flats)
House, subdivided into flats. Circa early C18, possibly earlier origins, remodelled and extended in late C18 or early C19 and with later C19 extensions and alterations; converted into flats in C20. Red brick in Flemish bond. Plain tile roof with coped gable ends. Brick axial and gable end stacks. Long 7-bay circa early C18 house, extended at right (SE) and porch added in circa late C18 or early C19; extended at left (NW) end in later C19. In C20 accommodation extended into early C19 house (formerly South Lodge) at left (NW) end which was heightened in circa 1928-30. 2 storeys and attic. 3:1:3 window range original house with tall plinth, parapet and moulded brick cornice, tall sashes on ground floor and smaller sashes on first floor all with glazing bars, central later large projecting 2-storey porch with Venetian window over C20 glazed ground floor. Circa late C18 or early C19 2-bay addition set back on right (SE) with sash windows. Later C19 wing on left with projecting end bay window. 1 storey and attic range on extreme left with mansard roof and to its left annexe (formerly South Lodge), gault brick, 3 storeys (2nd floor added 1928-30), 4 bays, ground floor 2 16-pane sashes at centre and doorways right and left with pilastered Doric doorcases with pediments; altered fenestration above and on left hand return facing Cumberland Street; wing at rear of 3 bays and with large lunette in end wall. Detached lodge (Warden's Lodge) to west, circa mid C19 gault brick, slate roof with pedimental gable end to street with pilasters and 2 16-pane sashes with pilastered cases. Interior: only C20 staircase at centre of original range was seen.
Listing NGR: TM2720648893
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings