This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3142 / 51°18'51"N
Longitude: -0.0089 / 0°0'32"W
OS Eastings: 538862
OS Northings: 159118
OS Grid: TQ388591
Mapcode National: GBR LD.2F7
Mapcode Global: VHGS0.S7NB
Entry Name: Church of St Leonard
Listing Date: 11 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287705
Location: Chelsham and Farleigh, Tandridge, Surrey, CR6
Civil Parish: Chelsham and Farleigh
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Chelsham St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35NE CHELSHAM & FARLEIGH C.P. CHURCH LANE,
3/50 Church of St. Leonard
Church. C13 with C15 tower; heavily restored in 1870-1 by Spencer with vestry
addition 1904 by H.A. Daniell. Knapped flint with stone dressings, red in
herringbone pattern with brick banding courses on south side. Banded plain tiled
roof with ridge cresting, wooden shingles to spire. Square tower and spire to
west, aisleless nave with gabled porch to south, chancel to east with vestry
extension to north. Lancet windows to chancel and tower, Geometrical window to
north chancel wall, Perpendicular window to south under hood mould with diamond
shaped stops, remaining windows C19.
Interior: simple, whitewashed with stone dressings. C15 tower arch, C19 chancel
arch. C13 column shaft with upright lancet leaf capital to north east corner of
chancel, further column with stiff leaf capital to south east.
Fittings: Triangular piscina with stiff leaf decoration to east chancel wall.
Former parclose screen c1530 cut down and re-used as chancel screen with thick
tracery and turned oolumns. C13 stone font: square bowl on central stem with
four corner shafts.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England, Surrey (1971) p,146.
Listing NGR: TQ3886259118
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings