This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2596 / 51°15'34"N
Longitude: -0.0173 / 0°1'2"W
OS Eastings: 538443
OS Northings: 153022
OS Grid: TQ384530
Mapcode National: GBR KK6.VVW
Mapcode Global: VHGS6.NL7S
Entry Name: Blunt House
Listing Date: 19 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377646
English Heritage Legacy ID: 287861
Location: Oxted, Tandridge, Surrey, RH8
Civil Parish: Oxted
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Oxted
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 35SE OXTED C.P. BARROW GREEN ROAD
6/206 Blunt House
House, now Clinic. Circa 1886 by J.M. Oldrid Scott for himself. In Neo-Georgian
style. Brown brick with red brick dressings; plain tiled hipped roofs with 2
stone banded ridge stacks to left and right of centre. 2 storeys and attic under
5 hipped roof dormers, outer and centre dormers glazing bar sashes in architrave
surrounds, dormers left and right of centre casements. Large flat tile hung roof
extension above connecting stacks. 5 bays, end bays projecting with brick string
course over ground floor and dentilled eaves. Glazing bar sash windows under gauged
brick heads; stone keystone to double light sash windows either side of first floor
centre, paired, round arched windows to ground floor. Central part glazed door with
wooden tracery bars and fielded panels behind doubled outer doors. Architrave
surround with voussoirs to top in bonded block rusticated stone porch with Doric
columns and guttae frieze surmounted by four spherical finials, approached up a
flight of 4 steps with quadrant walls have obelisks. 3 bay lower range to left with
mixed casement and sash window fenestration. Single storey extension to extreme left
Rear front: 7 bays with end 2 projecting on each side. 5 hipped roof sash window
dormers, brick stringcourse over ground floor and brick panels below windows.
Balustraded stone terrace across front of ground floor.
Interior: Fine C18 fireplace surrounds with marble Ionic columns and broken pediments
Foliage and scrollwork plaster ceilings. Rich modillion overdoors and door surrounds
The internal features were brought from Blunt House in Croydon, built c.1760 by
Abraham Swan and Richard Peers. The original house providing the model for the design
of J.M. Oldrid Scott.
Listing NGR: TQ3844353022
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings