This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2191 / 51°13'8"N
Longitude: -0.463 / 0°27'46"W
OS Eastings: 507436
OS Northings: 147782
OS Grid: TQ074477
Mapcode National: GBR GF6.HRN
Mapcode Global: VHFVP.XML8
Entry Name: The Church of St James
Listing Date: 14 June 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1377794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 288525
Location: Shere, Guildford, Surrey, GU5
Civil Parish: Shere
Built-Up Area: Shere
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Shere
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
TQ 0647-0747 SHERE CP THE SQUARE
12/258 The Church of St James
Church. C12 Norman tower and north nave wall, C13 south aisle and chapel,
lengthened in C14 with C14 chancel, restored in 1895 by S. Weatherley who
added the vestry. Ironstone rubble nave and south aisle and west walls
with large brick buttress to north west corner, mortar rendering on north
wall. Rough-dressed rubblestone on vestry with rendered tower and sandstone
buttresses with brick dressed knapped flint on porch. Plain tiled roofs
with Horsham slabs over south aisle, wood shingled broach spire above.
Nave and south aisle with fine tower to centre, chancel to east and
porch to west end. Two stage plain tower with tall single bell openings in
upper stage and round arched Norman two-light window to north side. C14
east window to south chapel/aisle - a large circle with four quatrefoils in
two tiers. Main east window similiar with prominent ogee arch. Big
curvilinear C15 north window to shortened "transept" and two lancets to
south side of south chapel. C16 Perpendicular window to south aisle.
Porch to south gabled with cusped bargeboards and further door up a flight
of external stairs. Main door to west in gabled porch with wood mullions
of oval section. Roll moulded west door surround with Petworth marble
shafts carrying foliage capitals. Fine C17 studded and panelled door.
Interior: old roofs, mainly of scissor type truss with crown post in nave.
Three-bay nave arcade with massive octagonal piers under square capitals.
Crossing arches of differing dates: north arch and arch from chancel into
south chapel early C14, all with three orders and attached octagonal piers
under simple moulded tops. C13 arch between south aisle and chapel with
Petworth marble shafts and crocketed capitals. Gallery across west end of
church: wood panelled in classical style with fluted pilasters and dentilled
Fittings: north chancel wall - quatrefoil window and squint C14 - belonging
to Anchorite Cell ? Piscina on wall and traces of wall painting on soffit
of east window arch. C13 stone font with big central stem and four corner
shafts under stiff leaf capitals supporting a bowl with three scallops to
each side. Some medieval stained glass fragments - C14 glass in east window.
Chancel fittings renewed since 1956 by Louis Osman.
Monuments: east wall, north side: To Thomas Duncombe died 1714. Stone,
aedicular with broken pediment containing coat of arms and crude Doric
pilasters. Grey ground to white inscription tablet with scroll over.
South side of east wall. Dedicated to four of the Duncombe children.
Died 1668, 1677, 1678 and 1690. Aedicular with steep pediment/gable over.
Blackstone tympaneum containing coat of arms, gilded crossed bones on
pilasters, skull to base.
Brasses in chancel wall: To Robert Scarcliff, Rector of Shere, died 1412,
and John Lord Audley, died 1491. Figure in armour with delicate linear
design - restored in 1911.
PEVSNER: BUILDINGS OF ENGLAND, SURREY (1971) pp 455-7.
Listing NGR: TQ0743847781
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings