This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5508 / 51°33'2"N
Longitude: -0.1572 / 0°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 527864
OS Northings: 185151
OS Grid: TQ278851
Mapcode National: GBR DV.T7L
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.7970
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Priory Church of St Dominic
Listing Date: 14 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1378775
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478128
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Haverstock
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2785SE SOUTHAMPTON ROAD
798-1/40/1473 (West side)
14/05/74 Roman Catholic Priory Church of St
Dominican priory church. 1874-83. By Charles A Buckler.
Multi-colour stock brick with stone dressings. Slated roof
with Lombard type frieze at eaves level.
STYLE: Early English.
PLAN: nave of 8 bays with clerestory; aisles with lean-to
roofs and projecting gabled chapels separated by buttresses;
transepts; polygonal apse.
EXTERIOR: west front central gabled and buttressed entrance
bay with pointed arched entrance of recessed orders having
quatrefoil medallion with relief of Holy Family in tympanum;
double wooden doors. Entrance flanked by blind traceried
windows. 4-light traceried east window flanked by blind Y
tracery windows; Lombard type frieze at apex base; apex with
rose window and trefoil reliefs at angles. Eastern aisle
windows of 2-light traceried centres flanked by blind pointed
windows; buttresses flank moulded aisle entrances; seated
statues of evangelists in niches above doors. Aisle and
clerestory windows of plate tracery.
INTERIOR: lofty with quadripartite timber vault. Piers with
stiff-leaf capitals and steep pointed arches; clerestory with
cast-iron gallery intended originally for cleaning and
lighting. Designed as a shrine in honour of Our Lady of the
Rosary, each of the 15 mysteries has its own chapel; 7 on
either side of the nave with the high altar and sanctuary as
the 15th dedicated to the Coronation of the Virgin. Transepts
with chapels; that of St Dominic with reredos painted by
Philip Westlake, others with richly carved stone reredoses.
Stations of the Cross painted in Late Gothic style by NHJ
Westlake, 1887. The Chapel of the Annunciation was the gift of
Buckler who is depicted in the window. The High Altar was also
designed by Buckler with central tabernacle, pinnacled Gothic
tower and surmounted by a gilded imperial diadem. To either
side, mosaics by Salviati. Some good stained glass by Gibbs
and Howard, 1880.
The planning, embodying a universal prayer in the structure of
the buildings, is unique in England.
HISTORICAL NOTE: one of the first buildings in England built
by the revived Dominican Order, which bought the site in 1862.
Listing NGR: TQ2786485151
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings