This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5569 / 51°33'24"N
Longitude: -0.1803 / 0°10'48"W
OS Eastings: 526250
OS Northings: 185793
OS Grid: TQ262857
Mapcode National: GBR D0.M6M
Mapcode Global: VHGQR.T4K9
Entry Name: Roman Catholic Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 11 August 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379106
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478472
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Frognal and Fitzjohns
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St John Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2685NW HOLLY PLACE
798-1/26/917 (East side)
11/08/50 Roman Catholic Church of St Mary
Roman Catholic church being the centre-piece of an informal
terrace formed by Nos 1-4 Holly Place (qv) and Nos 5-8 Holly
Place (qv). c1816 for the Abbe Morel; refronted c1830, belfry
and aedicule with sculptured Virgin and Child added c1850,
restored 1990. Stucco.
EXTERIOR: narrow entrance front with projecting central
entrance bay rising through the gable end to form a segmental
pedimented bellcote surmounted by a cross. Round-arched
architraved and pilastered entrance flanked by paired
pilasters at angles supporting a Doric entablature. Above
this, a pedimented aedicule containing a sculptured Virgin and
Child; a roundel beneath the bellcote.
INTERIOR: 3-bay nave with arched windows, vaulted and mosaic
transept chapels, and vaulted 3-bay sanctuary with marble and
mosaic baldacchino, with inset oil paintings of holy scenes,
by Adrian Gilbert Scott who also designed the altar. Western
HISTORICAL NOTE: GG Scott Jnr and Thomas Garner who lived in
Church Row did work on the church but it is not clear what.
One of the earliest Roman Catholic churches to be built in
England after the Reformation. The congregation had grown in
Hampstead around Abbe Morel, a refugee from the French
Revolution. The more elaborate front followed the Catholic
Emancipation Act in 1829.
Listing NGR: TQ2625685791
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings