This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.551 / 51°33'3"N
Longitude: -0.1403 / 0°8'25"W
OS Eastings: 529038
OS Northings: 185205
OS Grid: TQ290852
Mapcode National: GBR DV.Z67
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.J86V
Entry Name: The Assembly House Public House
Listing Date: 7 November 1985
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1379240
English Heritage Legacy ID: 478608
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Local Authority Ward: Kentish Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Benet Kentish Town
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2985SW KENTISH TOWN ROAD
798-1/43/971 (East side)
07/11/85 Nos.292 AND 294
The Assembly House Public House
(Formerly Listed as:
KENTISH TOWN ROAD
Assembly House Public House)
Public house. 1898. By Thorpe and Furniss; wrought-iron work
by Jones & Willis; glass by W James of Kentish Town; interior
plasterwork by the Plastic Decoration Company; joinery by WA
Antill & Co. Red brick and stucco. Slate roofs with dormers.
STYLE: French Chateau style.
PLAN: situated on a canted corner site with projecting ground
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, attics and cellars. Ground floor with
pink and black polished granite pilasters supporting fascia
and cornice with elaborate wrought-iron balustrade and
segmental-arched stuccoed gables over entrances, that facing
into Leighton Road with an aedicule containing a figure. 5
entrances (1 now blocked) with half glazed panelled doors and
overlights. Entrances to extreme left and right with lobbies
having French embossed and brilliant cut mirrors to walls,
elaborate wrought-iron screen incorporating the letters "AH"
and mosaic floors. Main frontage windows with top strip of
small panes and all frontage windows with mostly original
French embossed and brilliant cut glass in lower panes. 1st
floor with 5-light bow window to Kentish Town Road, a canted
5-light bay, 2-light window, 4-light bay and single light, all
with transoms and mullions and pilaster architraves supporting
an entablature with enriched frieze. 2nd floor similar but
with entablature having modillion cornice with enriched
blocking course breaking forward over bays. Extreme right hand
bay replaced by enriched console. At eaves level the bowed
window culminates in a 5-light turret with enriched friezes
and conical roof with finial. On the corner, 4 dormers with
pilaster architraves supporting pediments terminating in shell
finials; into Leighton Road, above the 4-light canted bay, an
attic storey with two 2-light windows and pilasters supporting
similar entablature to that below. High, steep hipped roof
over this bay with cast-iron cresting, pedimented dormer and
large slab chimney to side.
INTERIOR: of high standard retains original mahogany fittings,
French embossed and brilliant cut glass and mirrors.
Elaborately moulded plaster ceiling in Jacobean style. Lantern
with raised clerestory in rear bar with stained glass
detailing. Front bar altered.
Listing NGR: TQ2903885205
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings