This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4223 / 51°25'20"N
Longitude: -0.2113 / 0°12'40"W
OS Eastings: 524461
OS Northings: 170772
OS Grid: TQ244707
Mapcode National: GBR BM.5DW
Mapcode Global: VHGRB.9J40
Entry Name: Trinity Church and Hall
Listing Date: 23 March 2000
Last Amended: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380171
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479733
Location: Merton, London, SW19
Electoral Ward/Division: Hillside
Built-Up Area: Merton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Wimbledon
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Trinity Church and Hall
Presbyterian church, now United Reformed church, 1885-91. Hall 1885, church 1890-91. Red brick stone dressings, tile roofs. Nave, south -east tower, narthex with gallery over, short transepts, hall. Ritual east to north-west. Buttressed west front.
Central entrance under gablet with hoodmould, waterleaf moulded arch on shafts, stone carved tablet with dove, Holy Bible and vesica inscribed 'nec tamen consumebatur.' Flanking lancets. Above, pair of three-light traceried windows under encircled sexfoil; pair of slender lancets to the gable, small gable cross. Three stage red brick tower with stone banding and dressings, stone spire.
West entrance under simple multiple moulded arch, foliate relief with inscription to the spandrel. Paired stone dressed lancets under small circular light. Two-light bell chamber windows, separated by slender shaft. Pierced stone parapet, pinnacles at angles rising from facetted buttress-like shafts above second stage. Single light above under pointed hood mould. Stone spire with tall slender openings again under pointed hoodmoulds. Memorial stone: laid by Samuel Smith Esq. M.P. 21 June 1890. South elevation: aisle in three buttressed bays, each with three plain lancets with stone cills. Debased quatrefoil clerestorey lights, two to each bay. Entrance to transept set at angle. South transept: Narrow deep-set lancets, pair of three-light mullion and transomed windows above, cill band, triple slits above. Tall facetted lead spire over the crossing; open chamber over rectangular gabled base. Single storey link to hall.
North elevation similar with single storey south-west room with chequer work parapet. Entrance to vestries and parish rooms to rear. Four-bay hall set at right angle to church, gable stone banded echoing that to tower. Tall two-light mullion and transom gable window flanked by single lights. North elevation, part rendered, one bay with gablet over three-light window with stone cill and transom, cinquefoil above, the remainder lancets with coloured glass leaded lights. Belfry towards south gable, tiled flanks, fretwork chamber.
Interior. Narthex with polychrome tiled floor, inner doors, oak with glazed panels of leaded coloured glass lights; three lancet lights towards nave. Three bay nave, slender shafts to responds, quatrefoil piers to (ritual) east, drum piers between. Roof a variant of a hammer beam but with tie beams, slender wall posts on corbels rising from above arcade, lower tier coved and plastered between braces, upper tier a flat roofed vault, close boarded between ribs. Raked gallery over narthex, pitch pine seating, panelled shafted balustrade, central clock. Slender annulated shafts to transept and chancel arches; close boarded transept roof, a reduced version of the nave roof. Moulded upper chancel arch. Octagonal stone pulpit with marble shafts to blind arcaded side panels, supported on hefty drum piers, attached stone ledger. Small octagonal font dated 1935, this and communion table a gift of Mr. and Mrs. George Young. Elders' seating, some from 1890s. Platform extended to left and right, 1980s. Two stained glass nave windows. Pitch pine pews to nave, probably 1890s. Vestry to rear, moulded ceiling cornice, eared architrave to mantlepiece.
Hall: single four bay arcade of octagonal stone piers to church side, four bay trussed roof, a variant on a hammer beam, tie beams supported on braces rising from piers.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings