This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6 / 51°35'59"N
Longitude: -0.1957 / 0°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 525064
OS Northings: 190554
OS Grid: TQ250905
Mapcode National: GBR C2.WWJ
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.K1FT
Plus Code: 9C3XHRX3+XP
Entry Name: King Edward Hall
Listing Date: 24 March 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380173
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479751
Location: Barnet, London, N3
Electoral Ward/Division: Finchley Church End
Built-Up Area: Barnet
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Finchley
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2590 REGENTS PARK ROAD
31/18/10386 Nos.331-343 (Odd Nos)
King Edward Hall
Includes: King Edward Hall, Nos. 1-7 (ODD NOS) HENDON LANE
Hall and shops. Built in 1911-12 to the designs of Turner and Higgins of Finchley, with some later C20 alterations to shopfronts and interior. Built of brick with stone dressings and tiled roofs. Symmetrical corner building with hall to upper floors and shopping parade at ground floor level and corner clock tower.
EXTERIOR:Three storeys and attics: 11 windows to Regent's Park Road elevation, 13 to Hendon Lane elevation. Casement windows with leaded lights with some mullioned and transomed windows. Corner has four storey circular tower with clock face and copper dome with flagstaff. Both sides have a central section of tall stone parapet ramped up with lettering "KING EDWARD HALL" above three tall splayed bay windows rising through first and second floors, linked by elaborate cast iron balustrading. Ground floors have two elaborate doorcases to ground floors on each elevation, those nearest to corner with flat hood on brackets and those furthest away from corner having doorcases with eared architraves, keystones and swag decoration. Ground floor shopfronts have original fascias, pilasters and brackets and some shopfronts are original.
INTERIOR: King Edward Hall retains its original plastered ribbed ceiling, high relief plasterwork with scroll, shell and palm frond motifs to surrounding frieze. The stage was removed later in the C20 but the proscenium arch remains. Balcony fronts, pilasters to sides and decoration to ancillary rooms renewed in 1992-3. Well staircases with cast iron balusatrading and period-style doors. HISTORY: King Edward Hall was built as a private banqueting hall. It was used as a temporary hospital in the First World War.
Original drawings held by LB Barnet
"Finchley and Friern Barnet" by Stewart Gillies and Pamela Taylor show early C20 photographs of the building including an interior photograph of the hall being used as a temporary hospital during the First World War.
Stewart Gillies and Pamela Taylor, Finchley and Friern Barnet, Phillimore 1995
Information from Barnet Borough Arts Council and English Heritage HART names index.
8094 The Centenary Calendar of Christ Church, United Reform Church, Friern Barnet, London, 1883-1983
8094 Finchley and Friern Barnet (Stewart Gillies and Pamela Taylor)
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings