This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8392 / 50°50'21"N
Longitude: -0.7558 / 0°45'20"W
OS Eastings: 487702
OS Northings: 105147
OS Grid: SU877051
Mapcode National: GBR DGT.7QK
Mapcode Global: FRA 969W.9CP
Entry Name: Nelson Court
Listing Date: 17 April 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380233
English Heritage Legacy ID: 479978
Location: Chichester, Chichester, West Sussex, PO19
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Chichester
Built-Up Area: Chichester
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Whyke St George
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
SU 8705 CHURCH ROAD
593/14/10018 Nelson Court
Rectory, later subdivided into flats. Designed by Henry Woodyer between 1869-71 and built in 1873 (dated rainwaterheads) as the rectory of All Saints Church which is also by the same architect. Asymmetrical Gothic style building. Ground floor red brick in Flemish bond, upper floors hung with alternate courses of plain and curved tiles. Plain tiled roof with tall clustered brick chimneystacks. Two storeys and attics; irregular fenestration..
EXTERIOR:South west or entrance front has four windows. Central gabled dormer with C20 window. First floor has original mullioned and transomed casement, two smaller original casements and central C20 16-pane wooden window lighting staircase hall. Ground floor has similar windows and doorcase under penticed later hood on large wooden brackets with stone corbel and plank door with ebaborate ironmongery. Brick bracket cornice between floors and plinth. Original brick leanto to left has one original and one top opening C20 sash window and decayed stone shield.. South east side has central massive brick chimneystack between two gables. Attic windows are C20 replacements. Left side first floor window is a 3-light C20 replacement, the right side one probably original. Groiund floor has original 3-light mullioned and transomed casements. North west or garden front has tall chimneystack to right hand side. Central gabled dormer with C20 casement. First floor has 2 windows, left side C20 3-light casement and right side original 3-light casement. Ground floor left has large square bay with diaper pattern in grey brickwork, hipped tiled roof , casement windows to the side and massiuve original mullioned and transomed window but central top light modified to open and central lower light modified to provide outside access. Ground floor right hand side has original 4-light mullioned and transomed window .. Original lean-to to right hand side has three small lancet windows to the upper part and original 4-light casement window to ground floor. North west elevation has service end with two gables, each with ribbed brick chimneystacks., original casement to first floor left, later pivoting sash sash to right side gable, projecting central gable and ground floor lean-tos with further gabled dormer, two original casement windows and doorcase with plank door incorporating adjoining casement and four lights over.
INTERIOR: Staircase hall has moulded wooden cornice, well staircase with gallery, balustrading reported to have trefoil cutouts, pendants, six panelled doors and multi-coloured tiled floor. Wooden shutters survive to ground floor rooms. Service end retains service staircase which is straight flight with solid plank balustrading with chamfered newel posts, a set of C19 service bells and plank doors. Ground floor has original multi-coloured tiled floors to corridors.
Listing NGR: SU8770205147
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings