History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James the Great

A Grade II Listed Building in Romanby, North Yorkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3331 / 54°19'59"N

Longitude: -1.4473 / 1°26'50"W

OS Eastings: 436034

OS Northings: 493204

OS Grid: SE360932

Mapcode National: GBR LLBB.GG

Mapcode Global: WHD81.QBZZ

Entry Name: Church of St James the Great

Listing Date: 18 May 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1380322

English Heritage Legacy ID: 480306

Location: Romanby, Hambleton, North Yorkshire, DL7

County: North Yorkshire

Civil Parish: Romanby

Built-Up Area: Northallerton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Northallerton All Saints

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Northallerton

Listing Text

ROMANBY

SE 39 SE AINDERBY ROAD
1671/2/10003 (West side)
18-MAY-00 Church of St James the Great

II

Parish church. 1880-82. Designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler. Coursed dressed stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinth, moulded cill band and ashlar coped gables. Chancel and nave under single roof.
West front has single 3-light pointed arch window with panel tracery and moulded hood.
South front has two flat-headed 2-light windows with panel tracery to the chancel. Nave has single 3-light and 2-light windows with flat heads and simple cusped tracery, to left a projecting gabled porch with chamfered and moulded outer arched doorway reached up 4 steps.
East front has single 3-light pointed arch window.
North front has three 2-light windows with flat heads and cusped tracery to nave. Chancel obscured by projecting lean-to vestry with 2-light west window and tall chamfered stone chimney stack.
Between the nave and chancel an octagonal wooden cupola or bellcote with slate hung base and octagonal spire.
INTERIOR has double chamfered stone chancel arch, open wooden roof with arched braces and collars, boarded roof to chancel. Stone altar and painted wooden reredos. Wooden choir stalls, altar rail, pulpit and pews. Moulded octagonal stone font.


Listing NGR: SE3603493204

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.