Latitude: 51.4284 / 51°25'42"N
Longitude: -0.1308 / 0°7'51"W
OS Eastings: 530041
OS Northings: 171591
OS Grid: TQ300715
Mapcode National: GBR FY.MPT
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.PC6B
Plus Code: 9C3XCVH9+9M
Entry Name: 177, Streatham High Road
Listing Date: 26 May 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380345
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480361
Also known as: 177 Streatham High Road
ID on this website: 101380345
Location: Streatham, Lambeth, London, SW16
Electoral Ward/Division: St Leonard's
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Streatham St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Tagged with: Building
STREATHAM HIGH ROAD
Shop with accommodation above. Late C19 central building of terrace of three with shopfront and shop interior of c1900 for David Greig the grocers.
EXTERIOR: Stock brick with red brick and stuccoed dressings. C20 pantiled roof with ribbed yellow brick chimneystack with red brick dressings. Three storeys. Roof has pedimented dormer with C20 aluminium sashes under Caernarvon arches with stuccoed cornices and brackets. Second floor has two sashes under Caernarvon arches with stuccoed cornice and brackets breaking through red brick dogtooth cornice with metal flowerguards. First floor has three-light canted bay, now with C20 aluminium windows with brick pilasters with floriated capitals. Ground floor has original shopfront with granite pilasters with decorated stone capitals and brackets, granite stall risers, plinth and original hardwood shopfront, including vertically sliding box sash, and door.
INTERIOR: Circa 1900 shop fittings. Marble display counter to left. Very high quality original tilework with a frieze of huge thistles and decorative framed panels. Lower part of tiling to right side wall now missing. Side walls also retain original meathooks and left side retains two marble shelves. On the floor is black and white mosaic flooring decorated with large thistles and with Greek key design border. At the back of the shop is the accounts kiosk set into the rear wall and lined with highly glazed dark brown tiles. Framing the payment counter are glazed framed panels with the David Greig entwined initials and panels of bevelled mirror and original panelled mahogany doors, the left side one leading to cold store. Until recently the left side of the shop retained the whole length of the original marble counter top with a beautifully decorated facing panel of glazed brown and cream tiling but at the time of inspection only about one third of this remained intact.
Included for original shopfront and shop interior.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings