This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4963 / 51°29'46"N
Longitude: -2.6419 / 2°38'30"W
OS Eastings: 355533
OS Northings: 177674
OS Grid: ST555776
Mapcode National: GBR JN.JXVW
Mapcode Global: VH88F.5N5B
Entry Name: Hillside
Listing Date: 9 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380352
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480386
Location: Bristol, BS9
Electoral Ward/Division: Avonmouth and Lawrence Weston
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Sea Mills St Edyth
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 57 NE BRISTOL GROVE ROAD
House. Circa early C19 [reputedly 1805]; extended early C19 and remodelled circa 1830s. Rendered stone. Concrete pantile roof with deep eaves with paired soffit brackets. Rendered axial stacks.
PLAN: Main rectangular range on right[NE] with central entrance/stairhall and service wing at rear left; later in the early C19 [reputedly 1815] a single bay extension was built on the left [SW] side; circa 1830s the house appears to have been remodelled and the main block was raised and refenestrated.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics. Symmetrical 3-bay SE front to main range, with lower 2-storey 1-bay extension to left. Main range on right has large 3-light wooden mullion-transom windows with small panes, the glazing bars removed from the ground floor windows, hoodmoulds and central rendered porch with hipped slate roof with deep eaves, 4-centred arch doorway with glazed double doors and fielded-panel inner doors. Lower 2-storey 1-bay extension on left with Bath stone bay window on ground floor with entablature and pilasters, and with 16-pane sash above; small single storey range on left. Right-hand [NE] return, C20 bay window on ground floor, two 3-light mullion-transom windows on first floor [left replaced] and small 3-light attic window under eaves. At rear [NW] various 3-light casements, mullion-transom windows and sashes with glazing bars; wing on right has 2-light stone windows with Tudor arch lights and metal casements.
INTERIOR: Much of the early C19 joinery survives, including a good open-well staircase, its moulded mahogany handrail ramped up to column newels, but with stick balusters replaced by splat balusters, panelled doors in moulded architraves, some with later overdoors; some of the chimneypieces have been replaced by C18 types, some on first floor with original iron grates.
Listing NGR: ST5553377674
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings