This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8373 / 50°50'14"N
Longitude: -0.1527 / 0°9'9"W
OS Eastings: 530175
OS Northings: 105817
OS Grid: TQ301058
Mapcode National: GBR JNX.J6T
Mapcode Global: FRA B6KW.JBC
Plus Code: 9C2XRRPW+WW
Entry Name: Booth Museum of Natural History and Attached Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 2 March 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380452
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480614
Location: Preston Park, Brighton and Hove, BN1
County: Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: Preston Park
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Prestonville St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3005NW DYKE ROAD
577-1/19/207 (North East side)
Booth Museum of Natural History and
attached walls and railings
Museum. 1874. For Thomas Booth. Brown brick set in English
bond with dressings of stone, red, yellow and black brick,
some of it gauged, and blue glazed brick, roof of slate.
PLAN/EXTERIOR: the museum is a long shed with a plain,
unwindowed wall to the right-hand return, and a short, lower
extension at its north-eastern end. The street front is
treated in an Italian Romanesque style, with a flat-roofed
porch across the whole front and the rest of the gabled front
set back. Steps up to 2 identical round-arched entrances with
voussoirs of red, yellow and black brick under a round-arched
hoodmould, the voussoirs dying into a springing band of red,
black and blue-glazed brick; double doors with decorative
wrought-iron hinges. The pattern of round arches with
voussoirs, hoodmould and springing band continues over the
other openings: a niche between the doors and one either side
of them, and a window beyond that; elaborate entablature of
gauged brick with dentil work, frieze of upright bricks and
moulded brick cornice. The gable is decorated with banding and
diaper work in red brick, and one course of blue glazed brick
which forms part of a springing band to an arcade of 5 blank
round arches; Lombard frieze and moulded brick cornice to
gable. Lantern to ridge of roof.
INTERIOR: the interior is simply a long shed with a late C20
roof; the historical interest of the interior lies in the
cases presented by Booth, which line the walls and the centre
of the building, and show British birds in their natural
Splayed walls either side of the building ending in coped red
brick piers; cast-iron railings to steps.
HISTORICAL NOTE: built by Thomas Booth to house his collection
of stuffed British birds; presented to Brighton Borough
Council in 1890 by his widow; and redesignated as a museum of
natural history in 1973.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-).
Listing NGR: TQ3017505817
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings