This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6292 / 52°37'45"N
Longitude: 0.4941 / 0°29'38"E
OS Eastings: 568896
OS Northings: 306416
OS Grid: TF688064
Mapcode National: GBR P6Q.5QS
Mapcode Global: WHKQZ.K5HP
Plus Code: 9F42JFHV+MJ
Entry Name: Fincham Primary School and Old School House
Listing Date: 2 November 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380533
English Heritage Legacy ID: 480773
Location: Fincham, King's Lynn and West Norfolk, Norfolk, PE33
Civil Parish: Fincham
Built-Up Area: Fincham
Traditional County: Norfolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Norfolk
Church of England Parish: Fincham St Martin
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF60NE FINCHAM HIGH STREET
1127/5/10004 Fincham Primary School
and Old School House
Former National School. East-west block and school house of 1848 by John Stimpson of King's Lynn. North extension 1875. Rubble carstone with gault brick dressings to 1848 elements, carstone slips with gault brick dressings to remainder; slate roofs, of fish-scale pattern to school (plain to south roof slope).
EXTERIOR of school: one storey. C20 brick extension to north front of 1848 wing. Gable-end stacks east and west, that to west partly external. West gable with 2 quatrefoil vents in gable head. East gable rebuilt 1875, of carstone slips. 4-light mullioned window to ground floor and an arched niche in stack for school bell. South front with one 4-light mullioned stone window, the lights arched, under a square hoodmould on label stops. 3-light timber casement to left.
Single-storey teacher's office attached to south-west corner, of carstone slips and rubble carstone to west gable, otherwise English bond brick. Date plaque in west gable head: 1848.
North extension of 1875 of one storey; 3-window range. West elevation with 2 4-light mullioned timber windows, and an additional narrow single-light window to north end. East elevation with outshut with 2 4-light windows and a 4-centred doorway in north gable end. Single-light window in main wall to north. Stack emerges through outshut roof. North gable end with ventilation light in apex and polygonal capped finial with pattern of quatrefoils in fields. North porch with similar finial above a shield in a square field inscribed with dates of building and extension. North doorway within arched and moulded surround on label stops. Blocked slit lights to east and west returns.
INTERIOR: 2 main rooms, that to the east-west wing with a dividing partition incorporating an elevated panelled gallery on square timber posts. Boarded scissor-braced roof. North-south wing with similar boarded roof and a folding glazed timber doorway between the 2 parts.
EXTERIOR of school house: one and a half storeys; 3-window range. West side with full-height gabled extension to north and 2 through-eaves gabled dormers to south, the upper floors each with one 2-light casements. 4-light mullioned casement to ground floor of north extension and 3-light window to centre bay. The extension with a timber porch on south return and a door with 4 vertical panels. Similar door beneath south dormer. Twin-flued octagonal stack on north wall-plane, and a similar stack between gable end of higher roof line and the south bay.
East elevation built over existing boundary wall: no window or door openings.
INTERIOR: 3 rooms to each floor. Plank doors on strap hinges throughout. Centre room with staircase within boarded and plastered partitioning. Coved cornices to 2 north rooms.
First floor rooms open into each other. Plank doors, that to the centre with 4-paned overlight.
Listing NGR: TF6889606416
Other nearby listed buildings