This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8166 / 50°48'59"N
Longitude: -0.1164 / 0°6'58"W
OS Eastings: 532788
OS Northings: 103589
OS Grid: TQ327035
Mapcode National: GBR KQH.MDV
Mapcode Global: FRA B6NY.0HW
Entry Name: Numbers 1-8 and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 13 October 1952
Last Amended: 26 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380719
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481043
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3203NE PERCIVAL TERRACE
577-1/49/672 (North side)
13/10/52 Nos.1-8 (Consecutive)
and attached railings
(Formerly Listed as:
Terraced houses, now flats and hotel. 1845-1850. Built by the
Cheesemans for W Percival Boxall of Belle Vue House who
purchased the land from Thomas Cubitt; designed possibly by
George Cheeseman Jr. Stucco. Roof obscured by blocking course.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys and attic over half basement. 3 windows
each. Regency Revival style. Each elevation treated as
full-height and nearly full-width segmental bay. All houses
except for end unit, No.1, follow a common type, a description
of which follows. Up steps to entrance set at right party
wall; flat arched with overlight, framed by Tuscan pilasters
and entablature. To the left 2 windows set in base of banded
rustication which continues around return. Entrance to No.3
now through No.4; both, together with No.5, now form Royal
Promenade Hotel. Floor-to-ceiling first-floor windows open out
on balcony, segmental in plan, supported by cast-iron brackets
and enclosed by cast-iron railings. All windows are flat
arched with architraves; each first- and second-floor opening
return has, in addition, an entablature and cornice; sill of
each second- and third-floor window supported by a pair of
console brackets. Attic sill band in the form of dentil
cornice. Centre window in attic storey blocked in all but Nos
1, 2 and 6. Sashes of original design: 6/6 and 4/4 to ground
and first floors of Nos 1 and 2 respectively; 6/6 to second
floor of Nos 1 and 2, top sashes only to Nos 7 and 8; 3/6 to
third floor of Nos 1 and 2; 3/3 to attic of Nos 1-5 and 8. The
end unit, No.1, had 2 flat-arched entrances on the return to
Eaton Place, that near the corner has been filled in and is
now a window. Both entrances set under prostyle porches with
corner piers composed of coupled Tuscan antae, and responds.
The entrance porch to the left is lower and broader than the
one currently blocked to the left. The return has a 9-window
range, all windows flat arched with projecting sills, those in
the corner range are blocked. Each window in entrance range
has tripartite architrave, the side lights blocked. To the
left of each entrance rises a full-height segmental bay of 2
windows. Sashes of original design: 6/6 to ground floor; 4/4
with margin lights to first floor; 6/6 to third floor; and 3/3
to attic. Stacks to end and party walls.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
Railings to stairs and areas.
No.4 was home to Sir James Knowles, architect and writer,
between 1903 and 1908; No.5 to the philosopher, Herbert
Designation originally applied to Nos 1-10; in November of
1987 No.10 collapsed after a large crater opened up in front
of the unit. No.9 was demolished soon after. Nos 7 and 8 are
vacant and in poor condition.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 99F).
Listing NGR: TQ3278803589
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings