This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8185 / 50°49'6"N
Longitude: -0.1205 / 0°7'13"W
OS Eastings: 532494
OS Northings: 103790
OS Grid: TQ324037
Mapcode National: GBR KQH.LC2
Mapcode Global: FRA B6MX.YPL
Entry Name: Pearson House
Listing Date: 20 August 1971
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481047
Location: Brighton and Hove, BN2
County: The City of Brighton and Hove
Electoral Ward/Division: East Brighton
Built-Up Area: Brighton and Hove
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Brighton St George with St Anne and St Mark
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
TQ3203NW PORTLAND PLACE
577-1/48/677 (North side)
20/08/71 Nos.12, 13 AND 14
Includes: Pearson House ABBEY ROAD.
Also known as: St Dunstan's.
Terraced houses. Built in 1847 on the site of Major Villeroy
Russell's Portland House, which burned to the ground in 1825.
Intended as terminal feature of the Villeroy's Portland Place
development. Merged in late C19 into West House, which St
Dunstan's Institute acquired after the First World War.
Restored and rebuilt in 1971, when a large extension
constructed along Abbey Road to the rear. Stucco. Late C20
mansard roof of metal.
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and dormer over half basement. 13-window
range. Elevation divided into 3 bays, the outer bays of
2-window range, the centre of 7-window range, with one-window
range join between the side and centre bays. Windows in join
are tripartite; all windows flat arched except for the
basement windows of the centre which are segmental arched.
Continuous storey band between basement and ground floor and
between ground and first floors; cornice band between first
and second floors with sill band above; entablature and
parapet. Architraves to French doors on ground floor, each has
a C20 metal balcony. C20 verandah of early C19 type to ground
floor of each end bay. All sashes and glazing of C20.
First-floor windows with projecting sills and architraves
interrupted by square blocks at the corners. Second-floor
windows with architraves, those to end bays and join have a
pair of triglyph corbels to each sill and square blocks at the
The flat-arched entrance is on the right return and set under
tetrastyle portico of the Composite order; pilaster responds,
from the left-hand respond a short expanse of pierced wall
ending in a square Composite pier. Window treatment and
horizontal divisions similar to those on the main elevation.
Both left and right return have a 4-window range.
On the right return, facing St George's Church, St George's
Road (qv) is an entrance porch of mid to late C19 date;
tetrastyle portico of Composite columns.
INTERIOR: inside entrance is a double-height stair hall with
L-plan stair rising to first floor; cast-iron balusters with
volute string to the each riser.
St Dunstan's forms a most important group with Nos 1-11 (qv)
and Nos 15-25 (qv) Portland Place.
(Carder T: The Encyclopaedia of Brighton: Lewes: 1990-: 56T).
Listing NGR: TQ3249403790
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings