This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7284 / 50°43'42"N
Longitude: -3.5078 / 3°30'28"W
OS Eastings: 293678
OS Northings: 93173
OS Grid: SX936931
Mapcode National: GBR P1.VL5M
Mapcode Global: FRA 37J5.56P
Entry Name: Northern Mortuary Chapel, Exeter Cemetery
Listing Date: 23 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380744
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481068
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Heavitree
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Heavitree St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9393 CEMETERY ROAD
871/12/1142 Northern Mortuary Chapel,Exeter Cemetery
One of a pair of Gothic mortuary chapels probably dating to 1866 when the cemetery was officially consecrated and opened. Designed by Edward Ashworth to accommodate the requirements of the Nonconformists, the other chapel for Anglicans. Heavitree coursed stone with Bath stone dressings. Slate roofs with bands of different colours; cast iron rainwater goods. Ridge tiles with finials. Decorated Gothic Revival style, matching the other chapel and the cemetery lodge.
Plan: Small rectangular chapel with west end entrance.
Exterior: 3-bay chapel. Low battered footings. Angle buttresses with set-offs and similar buttresses to each bay; W end gabled bellcote with bell. Decorated style 2-light traceried windows with hoodmoulds and variations in head tracery. The W end has a pointed arched plank door with Gothic iron strap hinges. 2 Decorated style windows above, with a single blind Decorated style window in the apex of the gable. 3-light E window with trefoil-headed lights with head tracery and hoodmoulds with good quality carved pre-Raphaelite style heads for the terminals. Stained glass in east window, the rest glazed with clear glass. Iron bootscraper to left of door.
INTERIOR: Only one chapel inspected internally. Hammer beam roof construction, springing off stone corbels.
Edward Ashworth was one of the leading local Gothic Revival architects, working from an office in Dix's Field, Exeter. He specialised in church restoration work. Part of a good group with the Southern Mortuary Chapel and Lodge (qqv).
Listing NGR: SX9367893173
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings