This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7212 / 50°43'16"N
Longitude: -3.5052 / 3°30'18"W
OS Eastings: 293844
OS Northings: 92371
OS Grid: SX938923
Mapcode National: GBR P1.W0VS
Mapcode Global: FRA 37K5.D8R
Plus Code: 9C2RPFCV+FW
Entry Name: The Ship and Pelican, Public House
Listing Date: 23 June 2000
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1380747
English Heritage Legacy ID: 481071
Location: Exeter, Devon, EX1
Electoral Ward/Division: Heavitree
Built-Up Area: Exeter
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Heavitree St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX 9392 FORE STREET
23-JUN-00 (South side)
The Ship and Pelican, Public House
The Ship and Pelican public house. c.1850, probably with an earlier core. Mass wall construction, painted stucco. Green Victorian tiled dado. Hipped corrugated iron roof; rendered and red brick chimney shafts with tapering round terracotta chimneypots; cast iron rainwater goods; the rear extension is stuccoed red brick laid in Flemish bond with a hipped roof with coated slates.
Plan: On a corner site. Rectangular plan plus 2 storey extension to rear.
Exterior: Main range is 3 storeys; 2-storey rear extension. Asymmetrical, 2-window front. Entrance is slightly left of centre. Grand doorcase with wooden pilasters, brackets and cornice; deep rectangular overlight with glazing bars; doorcase with panelled reveals. Architraved plaque above, depicting a ship with sails. To ground floor left is a C20 high transomed window with glazing bars. To ground floor right is a C20 corner window to the bar which continues on to right return (Church Street elevation). At first floor, the front elevation has two 16-pane hornless sash windows. To second floor left is a hornless sash window without glazing bars. The right return of the main range is 3 windows wide. Central doorcase with hood supported by brackets; C20 door. 12-pane sash window to the right. At first floor are two 12-pane hornless sash windows. At second floor level are three 16-pane hornless sash window. The rear extension is one window wide on the right return.12-pane hornless sash windows to both floor levels. The drop between the three storey main range and the two storey extension is slate hung. The left return of the main range has painted render and iron fire escapes.
INTERIOR: C19 stick-baluster stairs; plain and boxed-in beams and joists to ground floor.
Historical Note: a public house under the name of The Ship has occupied this site since at least 1740. Falla records that the Ship fulfilled the function of public rooms and was used for the annual distribution of cloth to the poor in the 1820s. Coroner's inquests were held here and refreshments were provided after paupers' funerals.
Listing NGR: SX9384492371
Other nearby listed buildings