This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2052 / 52°12'18"N
Longitude: -1.6214 / 1°37'16"W
OS Eastings: 425971
OS Northings: 256397
OS Grid: SP259563
Mapcode National: GBR 5N1.QX6
Mapcode Global: VHBXV.VT6W
Plus Code: 9C4W694H+3F
Entry Name: South Forecourt Wall, Gates, Piers and North and South Returns and Coach House
Listing Date: 18 March 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1381805
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482169
Location: Charlecote, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV35
Civil Parish: Charlecote
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Charlecote St Leonard
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP2556 CHARLECOTE PARK
1901-1/10/31 South forecourt wall, gates, piers,
18/03/97 north and south returns, and coach
Forecourt walls, gates and piers, with coach house. C16, C18
and C19. For Rev William Lacy. Gates by Nicholas Paris. Brick
with ashlar dressings; wrought-iron. Ashlar quoins.
Wall and balustrade to the south of the forecourt to
Charlecote Park (qv), incorporating gate with gate piers next
to the house to west end, with range of lean-to buildings to
south side and short north return to the Gatehouse to east
end; attached wall running south to laundry on west side of
service yard and attached wall to east side of courtyard
ending in coach house. The walls mostly C16, the rest dates
from the first half of the C19, incorporating 1722 gates to
Wall has some exposed blue brick diaper work between plants
and round-headed entrance to east end. Paired wrought-iron
gates near the west end have brick gate piers with quoins and
moulded ashlar plinths and caps with c1600 finials; rich
wrought-iron overthrow incorporating monogram: WL for Revd
William Lucy and side piers; mounting block to south side of
North return has central canted bay and octagonal pier to
angle with pepper-pot finial with diapering, the balustrade
with pierced rosette panels with paired fluted consoles
derived from the Gatehouse.
Lean-to range to south side of wall has 7 elliptical arched
openings plus large square openings to left, and slate roof;
with walled kennel enclosure to east end.
Wall to east of courtyard has some C16 brick and stone coping;
gateway with ashlar quoins and paired timber gates with
postern gate; small elliptical-headed openings to north.
East wall has raised section to former C19 structure and has
coach house to south end with stone-coped parapet and coped
gables with finials; tile roof; 2 coach entrances with Tudor
heads and paired plank doors; paired plank gates with plain
capped gate piers to east and C20 addition to rear.
Property of the National Trust.
(The National Trust: Charlecote Park: 1991-: 8).
Listing NGR: SP2598456360
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings