This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2428 / 52°14'34"N
Longitude: -1.7351 / 1°44'6"W
OS Eastings: 418184
OS Northings: 260547
OS Grid: SP181605
Mapcode National: GBR 4L6.65B
Mapcode Global: VHB04.WW2J
Plus Code: 9C4W67V7+4X
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 5 April 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1382044
English Heritage Legacy ID: 482409
Location: Bearley, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, CV37
Civil Parish: Bearley
Built-Up Area: Bearley
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Bearley St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP16SE CHURCH LANE
1457-1/5/3 (East side)
05/04/67 Church of St Mary
Church. C12 origins, chancel walls probably late C13/early
C14, with rebuilding of 1861-2 by N Hawkes including upper
parts of walls and windows, with added bell turret, and
restorations of 1962 by Cuthbert Lord.
MATERIALS: coursed lias stone with brownish-pink brick tower
and timber belfry and plain tile roof.
EXTERIOR: continuous 4-bay nave and chancel with north porch
and west tower and blocked Norman doorway to south.
North side: buttresses; porch to second bay has moulded
plinth, round-arched opening with abaci and single order of
shafts, windows to either side have glass commemorating the
1962 restorations; within a pointed-arched opening with single
order of shafts and reset Romanesque capitals (badly worn),
within outer square order with remains of western capital,
plank door. Two pairs of renewed lancets to nave wall.
West tower has transverse pyramidal roof, single
pointed-arched window to south and west, slatted timber belfry
South side: buttresses; blocked round-arched doorway with
square pilaster jambs and imposts. 1- and 2-light lancet
windows. Decorative ridge tiles.
INTERIOR: restored 1962 with new furnishings and west gallery,
plaster walls, deeply-splayed window jambs; arched-brace
collar-truss roof. C19 octagonal font with quatrefoils.
(Victoria County History: Styles P (ed): County of Warwick:
Barlichway Hundred: London: 1945-: 43-4; Buildings of England:
Pevsner N: Warwickshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 87; Shell
Guides: Hickman D: Warwickshire: London: 1979-: 37).
Listing NGR: SP1818460547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings