History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Merchants House

A Grade II Listed Building in Tillingham, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6909 / 51°41'27"N

Longitude: 0.8789 / 0°52'44"E

OS Eastings: 599078

OS Northings: 203049

OS Grid: TL990030

Mapcode National: GBR SQG.T7D

Mapcode Global: VHKGY.5RZM

Entry Name: Merchants House

Listing Date: 31 August 2000

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1382194

English Heritage Legacy ID: 482560

Location: Tillingham, Maldon, Essex, CM0

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Tillingham

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Tillingham; St Nicholas

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Tillingham

Listing Text

TILLINGHAM

TL 9903 SOUTHMINSTER ROAD
1644/11/10006 40
31-AUG-00 Merchant's House

II

Storeyed house. C. 1500, restored 1976-7, with details renewed. Roughcast and coiourwashed timber frame on brick plinth; plaintiled roofs.
PLAN: ground-floor hall with chambers above, and cross wing to east. Cross wing completely rebuilt 1977.
EXTERIOR: east-west range containing ground-floor hall of 2 storeys; 2-window range. Jettied first floor with multiple roll-moulded bressumer copied from fragment attached to centre of wall. 3-light casements. Hipped roof with rebuilt stack on front slope.
West return with a gabled porch and one single-light window.
North front of 2 storeys; 5-window range of casements.
2-storey west cross wing jettied to 3 sides on brick lower walls; gabled roof and 2- or 3-light casements. Upper floor is a rebuilt timber-framed dairy building from Little Barrington Hall.
INTERIOR: entrance porch in west return protects 3-plank C16 door with strap hinges. inserted corridor along north side, with 1977 staircase to first floor. Sole plates, middle rails and studs intact on outer north wall, one stud with floral Painting of the early C16. Further painting on middle rail. Multiple roll-moulded bridging beam passes through partition into west room (former parlour). Plain ceiling joists. Most studwork to walls Intact, with an arched brace in the south-west corner. 3-plank C16 door. Curved rebuilt brick fireplace with chamfered bressumer.
Ground-floor hall to east of stack, entered through a doorway with a 3-plank C16 door on pin hinges. Similar door to cupboard under the staircase. Multiple roll-
moulded bridging beams in double cruciform formation. Joists with tongue stops.
Wide fireplace with chamfered bressumer. Painted panel reset in south wall with foliage patterns.
East rooms entirely of-1977.
First floor with partitioned corridor on north side: jowled principal studs and smaller secondary studs. One 3-light diamond-mullioned window in north wall
(boarded on exterior).
West room, with arched braces to south and west walls and plain chamfered
bridging beams. Brick fireplace with cambered and chamfered bressumer. Floral painting on one south stud. Room over hall with similar, larger, fireplace, full studwark to south wall and cruciform chamfered bridging beams.
East cross wing reuses plain studs, wall plates and bridging beams from the
dairy at Little Barrington Hall.
Roof rebuilt 1977. 2 C16 tie beams with mortice slots for queen posts.

Listing NGR: TL9907803049

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.